Author Topic: Ulster Historical Foundation  (Read 297 times)

Offline Rootanalysis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Ulster Historical Foundation
« on: Thursday 04 April 24 13:52 BST (UK) »
Hi there

Is anyone else having issues with the new UHF website. This used to be a great site but now it doesn’t seem to work properly. I can’t look up anyone as it does not seem to filter. E.g. input John Steele, it throws up all the Johns with different surnames.

Many thanks
Gennoe, Genner, Lampitt, Shufflebottom, Campbell (NI), Thompson (NI)

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
Re: Ulster Historical Foundation
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 April 24 06:04 BST (UK) »
 Hi,
If you go to the indvidual  record set that  you want to  search, whether it is baptisms, marriages or deaths and so on, and search from those indvidual  pages( and not  their main page -where it says   "Search our Irish Genealogy Databases" as that will throw all  different names at you in the results).
 Then  tick the "exact "in the drop down menu that says "search type", and you should  have results with only the  names of John Steele

Kind regards
Ps although when I search from their main search page now, it's not throwing  up different  names at me , my results are all John Steele's.  Maybe it was having  an odd glitch with you yesterday.  I went  onto their  site (about 4 days ago I think), and it was very glitchy then  , and threw up all sorts of names at me when I was searching for someone in their database, so I  gave up. It seems to be working perfectly now though. 
Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 April 24 06:08 BST (UK) »
These are  the baptisms  results for a John steele using "exact". It's the same for the other record  sets . The search  results will only show all John Steele's
Kind regards.

Offline Rootanalysis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 April 24 10:56 BST (UK) »
Hi there

Thank you for your replies. Yes this works for baptisms but if I input John Steele in to marriages this is what I get. Then when I go back and look at the form Steele is missing and only John is there.

Many thanks

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 April 24 00:53 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I can see what you mean now.
That's  annoying. They are only searching on the  Christian name  in the marriages even with an exact search with "John Steele" , and the results are people with John Christian names and all sorts of surnames.
The  steele also disappears from the search box after the results come in. The computer  programme seems to be only searching  on the Christian  name  that you  enter, and not  the entered surname too.

If I then try a  search leaving off the first name John, and only search on a surname in the surname box , with exact too , it won't  give me any results  at all.

I can't see any way around the problem  to get steele, or any other exact surname in the results ( in the marriages)
 There's definitely  something  wrong with their marriage search ( and also their  main page search)
Maybe email them and let them know,  or ask them why  their marriage search is doing  this.
Kind regards
Ps I even tried putting Steele as a Christian  name in the marriage search,  hoping that it would somehow  fool the programme lol and it may give me the Steele surnames too ( wishful thinking)   Nope , it just  gives me one person  who so happens  to have a Christian name of Steele.

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 07 April 24 01:48 BST (UK) »
This  below is a post on their Facebook page (dated 6 Feb).
Maybe give them an email over, it's  probably teething problems with their new site and they may, or may not be aware of the problem.
Kind  regards

Offline Rootanalysis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 07 April 24 09:03 BST (UK) »
Hi there

Many thanks for this. I have emailed them and the person said they would pass it on to their tech team. I wasn’t sure if it was just me or of anyone else was having the same issue. I think I will have to wait now for these glitches to be fixed. I love that site as previously you could have put two surnames in and if you got a match it saved you time going through every record!

Many thanks for your help.