Author Topic: ARTHUR JAMES RIDLEY WW1 1915  (Read 204 times)

Offline trevalyn

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
ARTHUR JAMES RIDLEY WW1 1915
« on: Thursday 04 April 24 16:47 BST (UK) »
ARTHUR JAMES RIDLEY  died on 15 June 1915 after serving with the Somerset Light Infantry. Aged 29, he was the husband of Emily Ridley, 5 Strode Cottages, Street, Somerset.
Although Arthur's death was attributable to his war service he was never commemorated as a war casualty. I am trying to locate his place of burial and have his grave designated as a War Grave.
I would welcome help from anyone who may have information, however small, re his place of burial.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: ARTHUR JAMES RIDLEY WW1 1915
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 April 24 16:57 BST (UK) »
ARTHUR JAMES RIDLEY  died on 15 June 1915 after serving with the Somerset Light Infantry. Aged 29, he was the husband of Emily Ridley, 5 Strode Cottages, Street, Somerset.
Although Arthur's death was attributable to his war service he was never commemorated as a war casualty. I am trying to locate his place of burial and have his grave designated as a War Grave.
I would welcome help from anyone who may have information, however small, re his place of burial.

Is this Arthur or do you mean Pte Albert James Ridley - Service No. 20926 - Somerset Light Infantry - died 15 June 1915

https://www.everyoneremembered.org/profiles/soldier/75227825/
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 April 24 17:01 BST (UK) »
The Funeral.  Burial Andover Churchyard

Central Somerset Gazette
Wells, Somerset, England 
Fri, 25 Jun 1915
Page 8

https://www.newspapers.com/article/central-somerset-gazette/144746319/

Sandra

Andover Cemetery Andover, Test Valley Borough, Hampshire.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline trevalyn

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 April 24 17:09 BST (UK) »
*Sandra*.  You are on the ball today!  That indeed should have read Albert James Ridley - my info source was somewhat indistinct. And thank you for the location; I will follow up with Andover.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 April 24 17:11 BST (UK) »

Fingers crossed.  It is great to see these men are not forgotten

Offline ALAMO2008

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 04 April 24 17:38 BST (UK) »

Have you applied for his Andover Death Certificate under Albert only not Arthur James ?  He was still Serving at his Death in Andover and the CWGC are aware of his Death Circumstances- which is possibly why they didn't award a Headstone
CHAPMAN ROBINSON McKAY O'MALLEY

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 04 April 24 19:40 BST (UK) »

Have you applied for his Andover Death Certificate under Albert only not Arthur James ?  He was still Serving at his Death in Andover and the CWGC are aware of his Death Circumstances- which is possibly why they didn't award a Headstone

No cause of death excludes any casualty from CWGC commemoration.  As far as I am aware -
CWGC makes no distinction between a suicide and any other reason for death. If they were a serving soldier at time of death, they are entitled to commemoration.

Apparently, the Church sometimes do not agree to a headstone being erected.

Offline ALAMO2008

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 04 April 24 20:06 BST (UK) »
Agreed - I am aware of that
 but Ridley has been Commemorated at Brookwood by the CWGC per their Commitment
CHAPMAN ROBINSON McKAY O'MALLEY

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 04 April 24 20:24 BST (UK) »
When the burial place is unknown, these men can be honoured on the Brookwood Memorial or those  Memorials abroad.

With these "In From the Cold" if they find the burial place, they either dedicate a headstone or put a plaque in the grounds but to do that they need permission.  However, not all authorities or churches allow them to do either of those things.

Record keeping was not always as accurate as it should have been back in the pre-computer days of the early twentieth century. With modern technology and the greater accessibility to remaining records, it is possible, through painstaking and often tedious research, to find many of these missing names and to gather the supporting evidence required for recognition by CWGC and the appropriate military authorities.