Author Topic: Where to look for those who are English but the child possibly born in France.  (Read 1996 times)

Offline Miggs191

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The search for Louisa Elizabeth Maslin born 1821.
Research began in 1946 by an earlier generation. We have every piece of info possible on this woman’s life mainly due to information logged at Chippenham records office in Wiltshire from a solicitor. I have details of all of her life,her inheritances,marriage,children,where she lived and the tragic workhouse/ hospital records of her death.
The one thing which is no where to be found is her birth. On her marriage cert she says her father is George Maslin.
At one point she says she was born in Covent Garden London Middlesex but over all the seventy plus years of searching we can not find her and have no knowledge of her mother.
We do know she had an Aunt Sarah who she was living with in 1835. We also know she had a sister Sarah who was adopted( an informal arrangement in those days) both Louisa and Sarah use the name Evitt and there is some link between the Events and the Fawkes family.
I have recently been looking at French records as I know that Louisa Elizabeth now Perry visited France.
I began to wonder if she might have been born and christened in France. I have found a couple of records relating to Louisa Maslin,of course written in French ! I have managed to very roughly get the gist of it from my school days but am unable to link it to “ my” Louisa Elizabeth Malin ( Evitt).
Can anyone suggest where to look please ? She gives her birth as 1821 but that may be wrong if she was pretending to be older or younger than she really was.
Thank you.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Where to look for those who are English but the child possibly born in France.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 April 24 19:12 BST (UK) »
She appears to have been known under 2 different middle christian names on the freebmd entry. Possibly a mistranscription

Sept qtr 1846
Maslen    Louisa Charlotte        Devizes    8   515    
Maslen    Louisa Elizabeth         
Perry    John         Devizes    8   515

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:6D3V-9CK7
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Miggs191

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Where to look for those who are English but the child possibly born in France.
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 April 24 19:26 BST (UK) »
That’s amazing !
John Perry was her husband married in 1846 in Devizes.
Thank you so much it gives another clue.
I have about a hundred files on this extended family, this just might move me forward as I also know that her husbands two illegitimate daughters ,brought back to live with his wife !!!! changed their Christian names so there is a bit of history to this !
Many many thanks.

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 April 24 19:28 BST (UK) »
Is she the Louisa Perry living in Berkshire in the 1881 and 1891 census? She's a servant in 1881, and a patient in an asylum in 1891.

What birthplaces does she give for the 1851 and 1871 census reports?
I can see husband John Perry in the 1851 census in London. He's a lodger (occupation: "late grocer").
However wife Louisa isn't with him.

Can you elaborate on Louisa using the name Evitt please? When and where does she use the name?

I suppose you know about these papers relating to Sarah Grace. Is she Louisa's aunt?
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/5d03666e-74ab-40f5-8c50-586fc9a417a3

And Sarah's 1851 Will: https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D56719

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 04 April 24 20:07 BST (UK) »
Other threads
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=444221.0

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=583291.0

Note Miggs191 has changed user name from Miggs 191 (space between "Miggs" and "191")

Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 04 April 24 20:24 BST (UK) »
In the 1841 census I note there's a James Maslen (male servant) residing with William and Sarah Grace (innkeepers) in Devizes. Born circa 1816. County of birth is Wiltshire.

Do we know who he is, in relation to Louisa? (She's on the same census page, too).

Offline Miggs191

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Ashton,
I wrote an explanation but it’s disappeared ! Don’t suppose you received it. Was rather long !
The Evett name appears because Louisa Elizabeth Maslins sister was “adopted” by the Events. The step father was George. I’m thinking that the Evitt wife was another Maslin but I haven’t followed that through yet.Census records shows him as a grocer. Sarah turns up later living in Devizes as a milliner with Louisa Elizabeth Maslin.
The Evitt Are connected to the Fawkes. A son,we think ! is working as or with a solicitor in Regent Street in London. They turn up in listings for Carlton buildings which was built as offices for solicitors,architects etc. The Fawkes name can be traced “a bit” but I have a feeling they are family too.

Offline Miggs191

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Ashton,we have been unable to make any link with James Maslin 1841 census.
Could just be coincidence as Maslin is a very common name in Wiltshire.