Author Topic: sledgeman  (Read 225 times)

Offline Mhairi28

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
sledgeman
« on: Thursday 04 April 24 20:48 BST (UK) »
The 1841 census for my ancestor, living in Barony, gives his occupation as sledgeman.
Looking through an occupations list the nearest suggestion I can find is sledger or stone miner. Is this correct? Does anyone have any suggestions where he might have worked?

Thank you

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: sledgeman
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 April 24 05:00 BST (UK) »
I found a reference to Walter PAGAN, sledgeman or carter, Edinburgh in 1838 on this site https://www.oldscottish.com/sheriff-court-extract-decrees-index-john-niven-archibald-ritchie.html

Kay

Found a number of newspaper reports relating to brewery carters and one relating to man who worked in quarry and used a sledgehammer to drive in an iron wedge   

Offline Mhairi28

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 April 24 10:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the information.
'Carter' would make more sense given the information I have on him. Unfortunately he died before the 1851 census and the death records of his children give different versions of his occupation e.g. contractor/ grain carter / cattle dealer / spirit merchant, but of course, the informants wouldn't necessarily be accurate.

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 April 24 11:11 BST (UK) »
Glad  it was of use.  It sounds as though he varied his trade depending on the work that was available

Kay