Author Topic: Help with “C drive full” issue, please  (Read 5501 times)

Online Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Help with “C drive full” issue, please
« Reply #18 on: Friday 12 April 24 20:57 BST (UK) »
If you do not know what you are doing a Tech is the best place to go.

At least you now know the retail price of the hardware.

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 13 April 24 07:54 BST (UK) »
If you do not know what you are doing a Tech is the best place to go.

At least you now know the retail price of the hardware.

Thanks, good advice.

Dave :)
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 14 April 24 10:03 BST (UK) »
Windows does provide a useful tool called "Disk Clean-up", under "Windows Administrative Tools".

Once it has loaded, click on "Clean up system files".

It will then spend a while trying to estimate how much can be reclaimed under various categories. 

The most productive will be "Windows Update Cleanup" and "Delivery Optimization Files".

The first of these merges all those monthly updates into a singe item rather than keeping them separately. The second keeps copies of updates to Windows Store Apps so they can be provided more quickly to other machines on your own network (which you probably don't have).

You can actually tick ALL the boxes; Windows will rebuild anything from this list that it needs in future.

While I was checking the text that appears, I just reclaimed over 10GB of disk space.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Spelk

• RootsChat Senior
  • Pit Yacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 17 April 24 16:27 BST (UK) »
I have recently been trying to back up some data onto USB flash drives and am surprised to find just how slow the process is. About an hour to write a GB.
So I withdraw all I said about using using USB flash drives as extra RAM or hard disk space. Useless.
I gather that you can buy devices like USB drives but which internally are actually like SSD drives. They might be of some use.

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 17 April 24 16:46 BST (UK) »
USB 2.0 can transfer at 480 megabits per second - that's a gigabyte in less than 17 seconds.

HOWEVER few devices can cope with this sort of speed. A typical USB stick will peak at a third of this speed. Lower priced sticks are often very slow indeed.

USB 3, where connectors have a blue section, improves things by a LARGE margin. Again, devices are  rarely as fast as the standard allows. However a USB 3 stick often works a lot faster than a USB 2 one, even in a USB 2 socket.

Hint: If you are copying files to a USB device, don't leave Explorer pointing at that device. It will spend a lot of time updating the display to reflect the files being created there rather than allowing more data to be written.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Online Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 17 April 24 16:50 BST (UK) »
I have recently been trying to back up some data onto USB flash drives and am surprised to find just how slow the process is. About an hour to write a GB.
So I withdraw all I said about using using USB flash drives as extra RAM or hard disk space. Useless.
I gather that you can buy devices like USB drives but which internally are actually like SSD drives. They might be of some use.

Yes there are external SSD USB that you can buy, they are limited in speed depending upon the USB port version that is fitted to your Computer.

I bought a 2TB M2 SSD drive and an Enclosure in which I fitted it.  It has a USB C outlet which connects to my PC or Macbook.  The enclosure measures about 6mm thick by 30mm by 110mm

These M2 drives are now what tend to be fitted to new PC’s and it I wanted I could simply take mine out of its Enclosure and fit it into a spare socket in my PC.  So it is as future proof as it can be as it is going to have all my Family History research on it.