Author Topic: Mother & Son (Eastern Australia)....  (Read 556 times)

Offline Stuart_McDonald

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mother & Son (Eastern Australia)....
« on: Saturday 06 April 24 03:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone

Can anyone offer some suggestions ;D

Ruth Irvine Baldwin, was born 13 July 1908 at Carlton, Vic to Henry Percy Baldwin & Euphemia, nee Irvine.  She married twice, as Ivy Ruth Irvine Baldwin in 1931 to Arthur Alfred Frith and as Ruth Irvine Baldwin in 1943 to Francis Edward McRae, both marriages in Victoria.  I cannot locate her on Electoral Rolls after 1937 as Ruth Irvine Frith.  All other subjects with christian names of "Ruth Irvine" on accessible Australian Electoral Rolls have been discounted as the Ruth Baldwin I am tracking.  Ancestry trees "suggest" she died in 1977, but this is likely to be speculation.  I have tried locating a death record in Australia without success.  As I cannot locate a Ruth Irvine McRae on records (as suggested by her 1943 marriage record) at all, I am wondering if the marriage failed early and she assumed a new identity.
She had a son Roland Kevin Newport (born 1928), variously known as Frith and Griffin.  He is believed to have died circa 1990, the only record located on Electoral Rolls was in NSW in 1968, his chequered marital career is well  documented on Trove.  Again, like his mother, I am keen to determine possible dates & places of decease.
And before I outstay any welcome by asking way too much, Ruth's aunt Margaret Irvine (1880-1963) married Edward John Hammond in WA in 1901.  Edward seems to disappear after 1916 when he was about 30 years of age.  Margaret never remarried and died in Melbourne, they last appear together on an Electoral Roll in 1910.  Any suggestions for Edward John Hammond?
Thank you all so much for reading.
Regards
Stuart McDonald

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mother & Son (Eastern Australia)....
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 April 24 04:44 BST (UK) »

" Ruth's aunt Margaret Irvine (1880-1963) married Edward John Hammond in WA in 1901.  Edward seems to disappear after 1916 when he was about 30 years of age.  Margaret never remarried and died in Melbourne, they last appear together on an Electoral Roll in 1910.  "

*  When did Margaret die in Victoria?   

*  What happened in 1916 that you are using this year as a reference point?

Offline Stuart_McDonald

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 April 24 04:54 BST (UK) »

" Ruth's aunt Margaret Irvine (1880-1963) married Edward John Hammond in WA in 1901.  Edward seems to disappear after 1916 when he was about 30 years of age.  Margaret never remarried and died in Melbourne, they last appear together on an Electoral Roll in 1910.  "

*  When did Margaret die in Victoria?   
Margaret Hammond, nee Irvine died at St Kilda, 6th June 1963.

*  What happened in 1916 that you are using this year as a reference point?
Edward Hammond volunteered for active service WWI in 1916 (giving his age as 36), but did not serve.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 April 24 05:13 BST (UK) »
Assuming I have the right one...
What is the clue in this record which confirms for you it is the same man. I cannot read his recurrent illness. Can you?

Hammond, Edward; age 36; address - Tambellup
Contents range 1916 - 1916

Sue

Adding, he was a blcksmith by trade on 1910 E Roll, but noted as a farm lab. here.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Stuart_McDonald

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 06 April 24 05:27 BST (UK) »
I cannot read his recurrent illness. Can you?
I can only read rheumatism and not the following word, he lived at Tambellup, that is the clue.
Hammond, Edward; age 36; address - Tambellup
Contents range 1916 - 1916

Thanks
Stuart

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 06 April 24 05:39 BST (UK) »
I think sclerosis might be the other word.

So from there Margaret never heard again from him?
Were there children?
Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mclachlan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 06 April 24 05:55 BST (UK) »
UPDATE: I don't think it's the same person. Just looked at the marriage record and it's for 1935!

Hi Stuart,

There is a death for a Ruth Irvine McDonald on the Ryerson index. Date of death 7th September 1991, aged 85, with the notice published in The Age on the 8th, 9th and 10th May. That makes her date of birth a couple of years out but just wondered if worth looking at with the same surname as you!   I can't access the death notices but can see part of it. I'll PM you the link as other names mentioned may still be alive.

Kind regards,
Andrea
McLachlan, Glasgow, Martin, Menzies

Offline Stuart_McDonald

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 06 April 24 06:56 BST (UK) »
I think sclerosis might be the other word.  Yes, that looks very likely.
So from there Margaret never heard again from him?
Margaret was located on WA Electoral Rolls into the 1930's without Edward, before relocating to Melbourne.
Were there children?
There were no biological children, Margaret adopted her sister Euphemia's daughter also named Margaret (she died unmarried in 1992 at Abbotsford, Vic)
Thanks Sue

Offline Stuart_McDonald

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 06 April 24 06:58 BST (UK) »
UPDATE: I don't think it's the same person. Just looked at the marriage record and it's for 1935!Thanks for looking Andrea, I had discounted her, her Vic death record, indicates other parentage.
Cheers, Stuart