Author Topic: Marriages of Harriet Anne HOY(E) of Little Newton.  (Read 953 times)

Offline Peter Cornwell

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriages of Harriet Anne HOY(E) of Little Newton.
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 07 April 24 09:24 BST (UK) »
emeltom,

Thank you for the suggestion. As far as I know that Harriet CORNWELL never married but I will certainly look into it. Thanks again.
CORNWELLs (and variants) with origins in the ancient county of Cambridgeshire & Isle of Ely - any date.

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 07 April 24 21:39 BST (UK) »
I'm wondering if there was some tales being told at one point, if that death for George Cornwell is correct. The 1868 marriage does indeed look like your Harriet

Found this - records of the 23rd Brigade of the Royal Regiment of Artillery

Gunner George Jones, bachelor
Harriet Ann Cornwell, widow  [transcribed as Harrutt Ann Cormoell on Ancestry]
Marriage    30 Dec 1868, Cambridge

Maybe she went out to India with solder husband no 2 - although it doesn't explain why she married no 3 as Cornwell

Offline Peter Cornwell

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 08 April 24 07:38 BST (UK) »
Mable Bagshawe,

Rats! Just when I was starting to feel more comfortable about things. Nevertheless, many thanks for this intriguing further line of enquiry. I have ordered the 1868 marriage certificate that will (hopefully) resolve a question or two. Bear with ... 
CORNWELLs (and variants) with origins in the ancient county of Cambridgeshire & Isle of Ely - any date.

Offline Peter Cornwell

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 30 April 24 13:35 BST (UK) »
The marriage certificate duly arrived confirming beyond doubt that I am indeed dealing with one & the same lady. She married in Zion Chapel, East Road, Cambridge, on 30 Dec 1868: George JONES 23 Bachelor Gunner Royal Artillery son of Edward Duddin JONES an engine driver & Harriett Anne CORNWELL 27 Widow daughter of Edward HOYE a labourer. Address of both given as Calcutta Cottage, Mill Road, Cambridge. Witnesses: Charles SPENCER & Inez Harriet CARTWRIGHT.

Harriet HOY was baptised in St Margaret’s Church, Newton, Cambs. on 10 Oct 1841 the daughter of Edward Hinkins HOY & Ann THARBY who were married in Thriplow on 23 Apr 1825. I suspect that she was the unnamed female HOY whose birth was registered in Chesterton district Q3 1841 with mmn recorded as HARVEY (sic)?  Her subsequent history remains as outlined in my original post.

Her second husband, George Edward JONES, later left the RA to work for the India Public Works Dept being appointed to the State Railways Loco Dept in May 1879 and retired in Apr 1904 as Locomotive Superintendent. I believe that they returned from Calcutta to England on 20 Apr 1909 and by 1911 they were living at Fair View, High Street, Harston, Cambs. Her death was probably that registered in Cambridge Q4 1916.

Yet my questions remain unresolved. A ‘widow’ on her second marriage in 1868 but I have been unable to identify a likely death for George CORNWELL beyond that recorded two years later in Bengal 1870 as suggested in Reply #2 to this thread. Even more intriguing, what am I to make of her apparent third marriage (once again as the widow CORNWELL) to James ANTHONY in Furzepore on 14 Nov 1878? They returned to England sometime prior to 1891 when they are found living at Aden Villas, 1 Saxham Road, Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk.

I think it will take somebody with better access to military records than I currently enjoy to further unravel this conundrum. If you can help then feel free for, at present, I am well & truly scuppered.