Author Topic: Please help! Birth certificate request  (Read 785 times)

Offline Nekm88

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Please help! Birth certificate request
« on: Saturday 06 April 24 19:06 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I have recently discovered that my great grandfathers name is Malcolm
Smith born in Toronto around 1902.
Would anyone with access to Canadian birth records please check this out for me? Details of parents would be most helpful!

Thanks so much in advance

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Please help! Birth certificate request
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 April 24 19:18 BST (UK) »
See the date on the UK 1939 register was 16 October 1902, this might help the search.

https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/1784212

Added middle initial was M

Passed away in the US

U.S., Social Security Death Index, 1935-2014

Malcolm Smith Birth Date   16 Oct 1902
Issue year   1953-1955 - Issue State   New York
Last Residence   800, (U.S. Consulate) London, United Kingdom
Last Benefit   800, (U.S. Consulate) London, United Kingdom
Death Date   Feb 1977

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 April 24 19:22 BST (UK) »
Do you know if he was living in Canada in 1911, please?  Do you know the name of his wife (if he in fact did marry, in Ontario)?  A Malcolm Alexander Smith was born in 1904 in Toronto; perhaps he was your ancestor.

Added: Sandra’s referenced website might also have Ontario birth and marriage records.

Added again:  If he left Canada at a young age, family could have mentioned Toronto as his birthplace rather than a smaller, lesser known neighbouring town.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 April 24 19:32 BST (UK) »
Malcom Alexander Smith, born August 9, 1904, York, Ontario.  Parents: Malcom Smith, Mary MacDonald.

From “Schedule A” (list of births), York, York County, Ontario list of births

It looks like this man remained in Canada (or came back) until at least the time of his marriage, in 1935.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Nekm88

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 06 April 24 19:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for your replies.

Unfortunately, that is all the information I know of. This has only came to light having received a case file from when my grandmother and her mother were resident in the victor home for girls. My grandmother never knew her father as they were deported back to Ireland when she was 6 weeks old. 

I can’t seem to get the link to work for the family search site

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 06 April 24 19:44 BST (UK) »

Google familysearch Ontario births - once registered, its free to use.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 06 April 24 19:45 BST (UK) »
Malcolm Alexander Smith appears to have remained in Canada as he passed away in 1976 and was buried in Toronto.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 06 April 24 19:47 BST (UK) »
Without mentioning names of living people, did family possibly use a (Irish/Scottish) naming pattern? 

Offline Nekm88

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 06 April 24 19:51 BST (UK) »
Thank you Sandra, I have registered but can’t find the birth date of 16th Oct 1902 for Malcolm Smith.

Lisa, my mother has very high Scottish ancestry through dna. I’m presuming Malcolm Smith was maybe born to parents who had originally came from Scotland.