Author Topic: Two strange occurrences. Has anybody else come across this?.  (Read 1545 times)

Offline aukington

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Two strange occurrences. Has anybody else come across this?.
« on: Sunday 07 April 24 14:06 BST (UK) »
A lady who I was researching seems to have used a false surname when getting married. Furthermore she is registered as living in two different places in the 1881 census. According to this census she is still living with her father and his family under her maiden and true surname and she is also registered as living with her husband with her married name. The marriage took place within the last 12 months before the census was carried out. She was also only in her mid-teens when she got married. Does anyone have an explanation for this?. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Two strange occurrences. Has anybody else come across this?.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 April 24 18:05 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat  :)

Are you willing to tell us who you are talking about and where she is in 1881 in case it is relevant to our reply.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Marmalady

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 April 24 18:11 BST (UK) »
Not everyone totally understood the instructions for filling in census forms
So yes, you can get fathers filling in all their children whether still living at home, left home and living elsewhere or even deceased

Or alternatively, she could have been on a visit back to her parents house on census night so entered there but her husband also entered her on their home form too.
Wainwright - Yorkshire
Whitney - Herefordshire
Watson -  Northamptonshire
Trant - Yorkshire
Helps - all
Needham - Derbyshire
Waterhouse - Derbyshire
Northing - all

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 April 24 18:18 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat.
Census records show who was in the house on the census night.
The person may have been visiting and recorded by her family with her birth name or included accidentally as part of the family.

Sorry for the repetition - talking and clicking at the same time!
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online MollyC

• RootsChat Member
  • Preserving the past for the future
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 April 24 19:44 BST (UK) »
I have a man recorded in 1881 in Sheffield with his wife and family, as "patternmaker (unemployed)".  He also appears in a lodging house in Erith, Kent as "patternmaker from wks" with several other skilled workmen also "from wks".

He had taken a job at the Woolwich Arsenal, this error usefully shows when he started there and we know the family followed and remained there.

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 07 April 24 19:47 BST (UK) »
My grandmother was listed twice on one census- once at home with her parents and once with her grandparents. Her cousin appeared three times in the next census- 1) at home, 2) with relatives, 3) new address where he moved at the time the census was taken.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aukington

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 08 April 24 14:28 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat  :)

Are you willing to tell us who you are talking about and where she is in 1881 in case it is relevant to our reply.

Thank you for responding. Sorry for the lack of personal details. It is just that I am a bit of a fusspot when it comes anonymity. Furthermore, the surnames of those involved are very common and I thought they would not be of much use. And it is because the surnames are so common that I have made mistake. It turns out that what I originally thought was one person is in fact two to three different people!.

Offline aukington

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 08 April 24 14:35 BST (UK) »
Not everyone totally understood the instructions for filling in census forms
So yes, you can get fathers filling in all their children whether still living at home, left home and living elsewhere or even deceased

Or alternatively, she could have been on a visit back to her parents house on census night so entered there but her husband also entered her on their home form too.

Thank you Marmalady for your response. Because the surname of the lady in question is so common it turns that this one person is in fact two to three different people. I made a mistake. But I appreciate you taking the trouble to reply. Hopefully this will not happen again.

Offline aukington

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 08 April 24 14:39 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat.
Census records show who was in the house on the census night.
The person may have been visiting and recorded by her family with her birth name or included accidentally as part of the family.

Sorry for the repetition - talking and clicking at the same time!

No need to apologise. I appreciate the fact that you responded to my question. It turns out that I have  made a mistake. This one person is in fact two to three different people. A consequence of looking for someone with a common surname living in a large city.