Author Topic: Diary summary week ending 14th April 2024  (Read 8299 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: Diary summary week ending 14th April 2024
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 14 April 24 15:41 BST (UK) »
Why is olive oil so expensive? Even the own brand is a ridiculous price. At this rate I'll be looking for some in the duty free on my way home from hols.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 14 April 24 15:46 BST (UK) »
As I understand it, the weather has had a lot to do with decreased production! 

Added:

From Yahoo:

Climate change-related drought, heat, and wildfires across much of Mediterranean Europe, combined with war-related harvesting problems in northern and southern Israel, are behind rocketing prices and shortages of olive oil in Israeli stores, with an influx of fake products filling the vacuum.12 Mar 2024

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 14 April 24 16:16 BST (UK) »
My paper tells me that olive oil prices have gone up by  89% because of the extremely hot summer last year in the Med!  Cocoa is even worse, having risen by 132% . No more cheeky chocolate bars for me.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 14 April 24 17:02 BST (UK) »
It never ends with increased prices, now we are having to pay £80  for our compost bins to be emptied plus a huge increase in rates .

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 14 April 24 17:08 BST (UK) »
Luckily have renewed my compost bin charge at £36.00 for the year.  No idea what the council tax will be!
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 14 April 24 17:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the clarification ladies, I suppose that figures. Although I bet the price doesn't go down if there's a good harvest.

This is the first year we've had to pay to have our garden waste bins emptied, £40 a year. There's been a lot of opposition, people threatening to dump it on waste ground or to put it in with the general waste. There is of course the option to take it to the tip but not everyone can do that. My quibble was the fact that they only started in April, whereas previously it was March. My bin had been crammed full for months and I was having to stack the extra in the garden. As soon as it was emptied last week I half filled it again!
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 15 April 24 00:56 BST (UK) »
Many years ago there was a” theory” that house mice carried a virus , it could affect humans and was implicated in cancer cases, I am sure it was spurious !
Just like the bogus Canadian research that linked the MMR vaccine to Autism in children.

I really can’t stand mice and rats ,it is the bare tail,I can handle Hamsters and Gerbils .Their tails are none existent or furry. but rats and mice - tails like miniature snakes——- yerrrrrrrgggghhhhh,
We had - probably a field mouse - in our kitchen once, the CouncilPest  controller came etc.
He explained how they could squeeze through such small spaces as their ribs can move in so they are smaller.
They run over all surfaces so a real deep clean was needed , we had a cat too!
The mouse was soon caught .

Well off to the shops with my trusty trolley, I like to go on my own and plan my route ,if my son takes me it is not as convenient ,surprisingly .
So I sneak out before he gets up. He works long hours with different time zones etc , so I sneak out quietly on Saturdays so he can have a bit more sleep.

Hope you all have a nice weekend.
Viktoria.

Viktoria, am not sure how you have linked the MMR vaccine controversy to “Canadian research”; as far as I can tell by reading up on it, the theory was developed by British doctor Andrew Wakefield after he returned to the UK from a number of years in Toronto working on aspects of children’s disease that had nothing to do with the MMR vaccine.  It was only after he returned to the UK that he published his theory in the Lancet.

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 15 April 24 07:08 BST (UK) »
Mowse your talk sounds very interesting..

Anything that I can tell a Brownie Pack
As I'm telling stories about their village hall. they had a housemaid a kitchen maid and a nursery maid at one point bot to mention the ladies maid .. butler .and gardener
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 15 April 24 10:21 BST (UK) »
Diane, I am sure you are correct, but there was some link with Canada, obviously given your information very tenuous .
It was very early 1960’s and very sad that it possibly meant some children were misdiagnosed , we never heard of Autism prior to that and my course certainly didn’t include it in behavioural problems.
The children who showed some symptoms were were thought to be either very naughty —— for whatever reason ,there is always a reason for a child’s behaviour — or subnormal - what a fearful phrase is that- when in fact many autistic people are high achievers .
It seemed to affect boys much more frequently than girls too.
There was very little help for parents who had no idea what the problem was nor the cause.
It certainly seemed a new condition.
I remember the article I read-  some years later - in I feel sure “ The Readers’ Digest”.
The originator of the theory was named and shamed ,also on T.V.
It was Dr,Andrew Wakefield and his article was published in The Lancet ,which publication later retracted their article .
I can’t remember the link to Canada but feel sure there was one .

Viktoria.