Author Topic: 1841 Army Pensioner in Devon - where to start...  (Read 301 times)

Offline overlandermatt

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1841 Army Pensioner in Devon - where to start...
« on: Monday 08 April 24 12:28 BST (UK) »
I have an ancestor John Lock who was resident in Morley south Devon between 1828 and his death in 1845 (aged 57). On his children's baptism records, he is listed as a labourer but then in the 1841 census he is reported as an army pensioner.

My question is where to start with the army records? I'm not sure where he was born - there are a few Locks in the village which makes me think he came home after his service. There are blanks in the parish records pre-1813 which makes it difficult to check.

Presumably he would have joined a Devonshire regiment and had to do a certain amount of time to qualify for a pension. He married a woman from Ireland (Cork)so it makes me wonder whether he went there during his service.

Any suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated. I've searched for a lot of Royal Marines but no  Army ancestors from this era and I'm not sure where to start...

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline overlandermatt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 Army Pensioner in Devon - where to start...
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 April 24 14:47 BST (UK) »
That's very interesting thanks Shaun. I think this is the same John Lock that died in 1845 - I'm still working on that one - the death certificate wasn't digitised so waiting...

I had seen the link to the Kingsbridge John Locke in other trees but never seen any army service records.

I wasn't sure what records were kept from that era so this is a good result. Do you think there are other records held elsewhere?

Thanks again Shaun. That's really fantastic to find this.

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 April 24 15:21 BST (UK) »
The rate of pension and end date of service on the service record match the rate of pension and start date of pension on the pension record + the date of death on the pension record and the 1845 burial record at Morleigh match - these are strong pointers.

Shaun, a good find.

Offline overlandermatt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 April 24 22:37 BST (UK) »
It's taken a little while to get back to the research into John Locke, Royal Artillery gunner and driver that Shaun very helpfully identified.

I tried to find out more about the 2nd battalion, what they were doing in Plymouth in 1807 and then Dublin 1825. I've not researched an ancestor with an army link previously - it's only been the RN and marines to date so something of a new area.

I came across an interesting document detailing the commanding officers of various RA companies of the second battalion and the location of the company at various times between 1807 and 1825. There were 10 companies in 1807 later reduced to 8 in 1825 when the company that I suspect John Locke was serving in was named 1st Coy. Only one seems to give a possible time in Plymouth in 1807 and then be in Dublin in 1825... 

The company was involved in the disastrous expedition to Walcheren in 1809 before going to Scotland in 1812 and Ireland in 1815 where John Locke spent 10 years before being discharged on medical grounds. Whether the weak constitution referred to in the discharge was a consequence of Walcheren Fever is a matter of speculation but it sounded terrible.

I will try to find out more about the activities of the company throughout the years John served.  There are a few questions that I would like to answer...

The company moved from Sicily to England in 1807 maybe as late as September. I am guessing that this was Plymouth just simply because John signed up in Plymouth in March 1807. I would be interested to know what that process involved and why the artillery. Would he have met a recruitment sergeant in his hometown of Kingsbridge then gone into Plymouth. Would the recruiter have been connected with the artillery or was it just a matter of whatever regiment was billeted in Plymouth at that time?

During his time in Ireland he got married - the discharge papers mention a daily marching allowance for his wife to travel from Dublin to Plymouth. I've not managed to locate the wife in Ireland but on return to Devon, John and Ann Lock(e) settled in Moreleigh where they later appear in the 1841 census before John died in 1845. Ann subsequently moved to Plymouth where she lived a long life and provided a few clues in the census returns. She lists her place of birth as Castlemartyr in Cork and a year of birth of 1797.

I'm not sure whether any records will exist in Ireland - I was advised that there was a fire that destroyed many records in the 1920s. Any suggestions on this would be very welcome.

Many thanks.