Author Topic: Adding additional surnames in baptism records  (Read 697 times)

Offline overlandermatt

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Adding additional surnames in baptism records
« on: Monday 08 April 24 12:39 BST (UK) »
I've been looking at some baptism records in Moreleigh Devon in the 1820/30s. There seems to be a practice of adding what appears to be a surname after the child's Christian name.

My ancestor Margaret Lock appears as Margaret Evans Lock. It followed her to the 1851 census as Margaret E Lock. I never saw it referred to again until her death certificate when she was Margaret Ann. Her youngest sibling also had the Evans but the eldest did not.

Was this used to help differentiate between others with similar names? The parents in this case were John and Ann Lock. There was (perhaps) another John and Ann Lock who had a child 15 years prior to the siblings I am interested in that took the name Boyles/Bowles.

I'm hoping there might be a clue as to the mother's maiden name. Would she have been an Evans? It appears that she was born in Cork around 1797 so having a maiden name to follow up would be a great help.

Thank you in advance.

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Adding additional surnames in baptism records
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 April 24 13:08 BST (UK) »
Might be a godparent....
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline Spelk

• RootsChat Senior
  • Pit Yacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 April 24 14:28 BST (UK) »
Most likely that her mother was called EVANS. I see that her father John was in 1841 described as an army pensioner so probably met and married the mother in Ireland.
I see that she called herself Margaret Evens LOCK when she married in 1859.

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 April 24 14:56 BST (UK) »
Those middle names are a great help and as I have some mainland European ancestry I found that they too had a similar naming pattern to Britain which is a great help when tracing earlier generations.  My late OH had one female ancestor who had many daughters and when I looked at earlier census I could see that after she had used all her family names she started to give her daughters names of herfemale  friends!!

Have a look at the common naming patterns on this web page :

-https://www.family-tree.co.uk/how-to-guides/how-to-use-naming-patterns-to-find-your-ancestors/
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline overlandermatt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 April 24 15:02 BST (UK) »
Most likely that her mother was called EVANS. I see that her father John was in 1841 described as an army pensioner so probably met and married the mother in Ireland.
I see that she called herself Margaret Evens LOCK when she married in 1859.

I have another line of enquiry running on the army service that links John to his discharge from the Royal Artillery in Ireland in 1825.

There are some other Evans in the village where the children were baptised. I would prefer the maiden name to be Evans if possible!

As for the marriage information, it would be great if you could share... I have a possible 1861 marriage where the names match BUT it doesn't quite fit as the father is listed as a shoemaker instead of being deceased.

Thanks in advance!

Offline overlandermatt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 08 April 24 15:12 BST (UK) »
I can't seem to delete the first attachment in my post - it's not the correct information. Apologies!

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 08 April 24 16:03 BST (UK) »
As for the marriage information, it would be great if you could share... I have a possible 1861 marriage where the names match BUT it doesn't quite fit as the father is listed as a shoemaker instead of being deceased.

They were probably asked for their fathers name and occupation and answered that question.  I doubt that the clergy would then ask if he was dead or alive.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 08 April 24 16:08 BST (UK) »
BUT it doesn't quite fit as the father is listed as a shoemaker instead of being deceased

I have got several marriage certificates which state the father’s occupation when it is beyond doubt that the father has been dead for many years.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline overlandermatt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 08 April 24 16:14 BST (UK) »
My worry with the wedding information I have is that my parish record states Margaret Lock in 1861 and the father was a shoemaker - he was in the army for many years then labouring.

Spelk mentioned that she had found Margaret Evans Lock's marriage in 1859 - it makes we wonder whether I have the correct information!