Author Topic: George Wilkinson marriage to Alice: Haverton Hill, County Durham  (Read 296 times)

Offline McIverMcIvor

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Wilkinson marriage to Alice: Haverton Hill, County Durham
« on: Tuesday 09 April 24 13:10 BST (UK) »
George Wilkinson was born circa 1864 in Haverton Hill and married Alice from Norwich in Norfolk. I am guessing they were married (and buried) at St John's church, Haverton Hill. With such a common surname and Alice's family moving so far to work in the industry surrounding the Tees I'd value any help! Their first child Catherine was born 3/1/1892 and Blanche 10/11/1896 at 43 New Cottages, Port Clarence (near the Transporter) and built by Bell Bros Ltd who George worked for as a locomotive fitter (mechanical) . I've looked on Durham Records online for birth/census information to find George's family to no avail. Any information would be wonderful - but especially their marriage to find Alice's maiden name. Thanks!

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George Wilkinson marriage to Alice: Haverton Hill, County Durham
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 April 24 13:20 BST (UK) »
Go here:
https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/login.asp

Register (if you haven't already) and choose to search the GRO Online Indexes
They now show Mother's maiden name prior to 1911 (which the old printed index didn't)

A quick look for each name shows Lipthorpe for two girls with these names/ year of births you gave registered in Stockton, so that's looking highly likely.

Boo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 April 24 13:22 BST (UK) »
PS FreeBMD has a marriage of Alice Lipthorpe and George Wilkinson in Q3 1890, Stockton

Boo

Offline McIverMcIvor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 April 24 13:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks! And for the resources too ..... new to searching!

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 April 24 13:45 BST (UK) »
We were all new to searching at one time :-) Finding out about how and where to look is half the battle,I'm pleased to be able to help a bit.

When you search on that GRO site, you only see the index of the registration. If you click in the circle next to the likely name you find there are three options for the details, an official certificate ( £11) A pdf image from the register (£7 )  (though the available years are limited, read the FAQs)

OR a digital copy available instantly online for £2.50. :-)
Though sometimes the digital images have been scanned skew-whiff, its my personal first choice as its not only a lot cheaper but I don't have to wait. They give all the details from an official cert the only thing you don't get is a posh piece of paper.

If the scan has been scanned incorrectly so you can't see the entire entry the GRO will refund your payment.

Boo

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 April 24 13:55 BST (UK) »
Durham Records Online is a privately owned transcription site, and to a large degree focusses on pre-Civil Registration (i.e. 1837) records.

To find out what they have available click on ‘What We Offer’ top left of the home page, then take a look at either Parish Records or Census Records.

I've looked on Durham Records online for birth/census information to find George's family to no avail.

If indeed they did marry, or were buried at Haverton Hill you will look in vain on Durham Records Online, as they currently only have 1866 - 1872 baptisms and burials for that parish.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 April 24 14:27 BST (UK) »
According to trees online, George was the son of John Wilkinson, b 1837 in Billinghay, Lincolnshire (died 1893 in Aukland, Durahm),
and Mary Robinson, b 1843 in Gateshead.

John's parents were Bailey (1810-1891) and Margaret Cowling (1811-1876).

If correct, Margaret's ancestry goes back to 1570 in Lincolnshire.

David

P.S. Other trees have him born 1858 in Egglescliffe, Durham, to John Wilkinson (1818-1877)and Mary Ann Morely (1821-1899)

The 1921 Census has George born in Billingham Parish.

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 09 April 24 15:03 BST (UK) »

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 09 April 24 15:52 BST (UK) »
DCB mentioned the 1871 census on Family Search, unsure if you are aware that you need to be signed in to search and view on there. Registration is free and easy to do.

https://www.familysearch.org

Once you have done that  and signed in you will be able to view the link he posted

and here's a few more
1891 census
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:7R39-2ZM

1901 census
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XSC3-CQV

1911 census
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XWH6-VTG

The images aren't available to see but they have transcripts of the census returns and will tell you the basic facts.

Making a note of where they were (and the census references Piece, Folio, Page which will help you find the images on a subscription site such as Ancestry or Find My Past - or your local library may have access to one or both of those on their in-house computers.
Not as convenient as looking from home, but a lot cheaper :-)

I would recommend not relying on transcripts and trying to view original images wherever possible, then taking things a step at a time making sure that you are on the right lines before going back a generation.  Especially with a fairly common name its easy to take a wrong turn and latch onto the wrong family

Boo