Author Topic: Marriage Allegations, Bonds & Licences  (Read 614 times)

Offline BG1956

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage Allegations, Bonds & Licences
« on: Tuesday 09 April 24 18:25 BST (UK) »
I have a marriage at St Giles Cripplegate, London in 1696 that is shown in the parish register as having been by Licence. Trawling through all the Harleian Society Indexes though for the Dioceses of London, Westminster, Rochester & Canterbury, their details (John Glover & Jane Atcliffe) are not listed. Any advice as to where I can look next would be very much appreciated please.

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Allegations, Bonds & Licences
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 April 24 22:38 BST (UK) »

Hi,

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

It looks like you might have to contact the London Metropolitan Archives,   

https://www.rootschat.com/links/01t3s/

There is quite a lot of info there. St Giles Cripplegate was in the Juriscription of The Dean and Chapter of St Paul's Cathedral

https://www.rootschat.com/links/01t3t/

I can't find a way to see these records online unless you can get to a Family History Library. They might have them on microfilm but I'd check first.

https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/596301?availability=Family%20History%20Library

I hope this helps :)

Regards,
Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline BG1956

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 April 24 06:47 BST (UK) »
Very many thanks Daisy. Typical that I should miss the one jurisdiction that I actually needed! I'll pay a visit to the LMA.  ;)

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 April 24 13:52 BST (UK) »
Looking at the Society of Genealogists' online data, the marriage appears to be listed in Boyd's Marriage Index, with a reference to the Faculty Office Marriage Licences. I'm not sure how much of this a non-member would be able to see.

Anyway, I suggest that first of all you try to find if Boyd's Marriage Index is online anywhere else, to confirm what I've found.

(earlier comment on content of Boyd's index deleted)

Next you'd need to contact the SoG for a digital copy of any or all of the licence, bond or allegation. You don't need to be a member for this - see
https://societyofgenealogists-shop.myshopify.com/collections/digital-copy-service

As far as I could tell, the only information you'd need to place an order is the names and year.

ADDED:
From looking a bit further, it appears that the SoG might only have copies of the licences from 1701 onwards. Before placing an order and paying for it, I suggest you contact them as per this page:
https://societyofgenealogists-shop.myshopify.com/pages/digital-copy-service
to check whether they have the one you want, and if not, where you might be able to get a copy.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BG1956

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 April 24 17:01 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Arthurk. Another string to my bow to follow up.

Grateful to you for taking the time to respond. I've been struggling to get past 1696 for some years now courtesy of John's 16th Century family records being destroyed in the Great Fire and Jane's surname drawing a blank in all the genealogy sites I have looked at.

Offline 12tootsi34

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 April 24 16:19 BST (UK) »
Try the library at Lambeth Palace.
West, Alexander, Banham, Balchin.

Offline BG1956

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 19 April 24 12:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all who responded to my question. Eureka! I now have a copy of the marriage allegation that John made on 14th July 1696 which shows that both her and Jane were from the same parish (St Sepulchure without Newgate). This was new information and delighted me as this was my families parish up until at least 1775. It also showed their respective ages at 22 and 23 respectively so I now know when they were born - another piece of the jigsaw I did not have before.

Once again, very many thanks for all your kind help and advice.

Offline BG1956

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 19 April 24 15:01 BST (UK) »
PS: Thanks 12tootsi34. I've contacted Lambeth Palace Library to see if they might have a copy of the associated Marriage Bond. Their research guide suggests that they might. If so, it could show John's occupation and his Bond guarantor - hopefully was a family member!

Looking forward to their response.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 19 April 24 19:44 BST (UK) »
 :) Thanks for the update - and the words of thanks. Some posters don't remember that bit. :(
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk