Author Topic: Marriage Allegations, Bonds & Licences  (Read 634 times)

Offline BG1956

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Allegations, Bonds & Licences
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 27 April 24 15:55 BST (UK) »
Hi 12tootsi34.

I've had a response from Lambeth Palace and the Faculty Office Marriage Bonds for the period January 1695 to November 1698 are all missing from their records! Just my luck as the date I was interested in was July 1696. All through my researches though I have often been stone walled by records being missing, lost in the Great Fire or destroyed by "enemy air action" so I really should be used to disappointments like this by now.

Thanks for the tip though. Knowing what the Palace does have may be useful in future.

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 27 April 24 16:45 BST (UK) »
I've had a response from Lambeth Palace and the Faculty Office Marriage Bonds for the period January 1695 to November 1698 are all missing from their records! Just my luck as the date I was interested in was July 1696.

It makes you wonder how Boyd got hold of them - but at least he did.

It set me wondering a bit about what other ways there might be to find out about marriage licences. One useful page I found was at FamilySearch:

https://www.familysearch.org/en/wiki/Marriage_Allegations,_Bonds_and_Licences_in_England_and_Wales

This pointed me to a printed index to the Faculty Office licences, at the Internet Archive. This link takes you to the one you've been looking for - left hand column, 14 July:

https://archive.org/details/calendarofmarria33chur/page/138/mode/2up

It might not add much to what you've already discovered, but the links might help you or someone else in the future.

Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BG1956

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 28 April 24 08:14 BST (UK) »
Very useful. Interesting that Boyd uses the original Norman spelling of Jane's name with two Ts -  Attcliffe (atte-Cliffe). I hadn't seen it spelled this way before and reinforces what Forebears suggest, that the name is predominently found in France.

Thanks Arthurk.