Author Topic: Thomas Hubbard and Irish Mary?  (Read 446 times)

Offline Taylor94

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My grt grt grandfather, after capture WW1
    • View Profile
Thomas Hubbard and Irish Mary?
« on: Tuesday 09 April 24 22:18 BST (UK) »
I've posted about this family before but I've recently realised I had some wrong records, especially concerning who I thought the parents were.

It turns out the mother Mary was Irish, although I'm not sure where from. Possibly Dublin? and possibly with the surname Landy? I cant seem to find a marriage for them?

The family is this -

Thomas Hubbard, born c1783. Marries Mary before 1812? In Ireland? On the 1841 census listed as born in Leicestershire. Buried 1848 Leicester, aged 65, of Wheat Street. Maybe is the Thomas Hubbard of Langton, Leicestershire, aged 17 who joins the 30th (Cambridgeshire) Regiment of Foot in 1805, apparently enlisting in Dublin, Ireland? and is discharged in 1818/1819?
The closest is a Thomas Hubbard baptised 1778 Langtons, son of John. Closer to death age but out by a few on the age given on that military record.

Mary, born c1782. On census 1841, 1851 and 1861 is listed as born in Ireland. Possibly Landy? (Long shot)

They have the following children -
William Hubbard, born c1812. On the 1841 census when him and his parents are living in Leicester, he is given as born in Ireland. I cant seem to find him after 1841. Nor can I find a baptism for him.

Elizabeth Hubbard, baptised 1815 Countesthorpe, Leicestershire. Marries William Lord 1838 Leicester. Baptised in Countesthorpe but Elizabeth states on census records that she was born in Dublin, Ireland and on the 1861 census born Countesthorpe. Some of her children for some reason have the mothers maiden surname as 'Nichols' and some as 'Hubbard' on the birth records and I'm not sure why. Buried 1893 Blaby. In 1891 on census with daughter Selina's family.

Catherine Hubbard, baptised 1816 Countesthorpe. Buried 1828 Sapcote, Leicestershire.

Eliza Ann Hubbard, baptised 1820 Countesthorpe. In 1841 living on Gas Street, Leicester. Marries Thomas Smith, 1843 Leicester.

Caroline/Carole Hubbard, baptised 1822 Countesthorpe. In 1841 living on Metcalf Street, Leicester. Marries David Door 1842 Leicester. Buried 1875 Leicester.

Ellen Hubbard, baptised 1825 Countesthorpe. Buried 1832 Countesthorpe.

Selina Hubbard, baptised 1828 Sapcote, Leicestershire. In 1841 living on Wharf Street, Leicester. In 1851? In 1861 living with mother Mary on Birkley Street, Leicester. In 1871 Living on Birkley Street, Leicester.
Caroline and Elizabeth both name daughters Selina as well.

In regards to the Irish connection and baptism on William. There is a catholic baptism in London 1812 for a William Hubbard, son of Thomas Hubbard and Mary Landy. Witness/Sponsor is a James Landy. I can see no marriage for these two but there is a baptism in Dublin 1780 for a Mary Landy, daughter of James Landy and Mary. Could this be my Mary? The Thomas Hubbard apparently joined in Dublin 1805? There is also another baptism in the same church for this pair in 1808 for a daughter Maria Anna. Mothers name is given as Mary Landley* There is no more baptisms in this church after 1812 for these Hubbards.

In 1851, Mary's birth place is given as Ireland and then another word, I cant quite make it out. One person has transcribed it as 'Meath' but I'm not sure if that is correct. I will attach it below.
Richard Dudley of Cosby. Gent
George Bent of Cosby. Gent
William Black of Kilby. Gent
Bernard Cotton of Dadlington. Esq
Sir Thomas Halford of Wistow. Bart
Richard Swynfen of Sutton Cheney. Gent
John Cotes of Aylestone. Gent
John Freeston of East Norton. Gent
Sir John Bernard of Abington.
Edward Shuckburgh of Naseby. Esq
Richard Worsley of Deeping. Esq
Thomas Hobson of Glen. Gent
John Grant of Stretton Parva. Gent
John Miles of Heanley Hall. Gent
Thomas Dabridgecourt. Esq
Sir Clement Edmondes

Offline Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Hubbard and Irish Mary?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 April 24 00:19 BST (UK) »
Difficult one...

List of counties in Ireland

https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/irl/

See counties ending in 'th' it could possibly be Meath or Louth. Both were in the province of Leinster as well as Dublin.  Unless she named an area more local to birthplace.

Info see Terminology- https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counties_of_Ireland

Cas
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Offline willsy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 April 24 21:48 BST (UK) »
Just wanted to run this by you, I searched the military records with extra info as 30 foot and 3 pension records came up for a Thomas Hubbard, 30th Foot, Leicester.

The date of admission in the WO 23 Royal Chelsea Hospital Chelsea Admission books is 3 Feb 1819 which is the same date firmly written on the military records you have; date of death is 3 Dec 1872.

There's a Blaby death that fits,  birth as 1791.
Willsy

Ward, Newark (Nottingham), Leicester, Scarborough
Warren, Northampton, Leicester
Moore, Leicestershire
Hunt, Leicestershire
Kirkman, Leicestershire
Hurst, Leicester, Stowmarket
Kendrick, Leicestershire
Eld, Leicestershire
Essex Edey/Eady Elsden/Elsdon

Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 April 24 09:54 BST (UK) »
A lot of trees have Thomas Hubbard, Chelsea Pensioner, who died in 1872.

His birth place is listed as Laughton and wife as Ann Muggleton, although some have Ann Woodcock.

David

Offline Taylor94

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My grt grt grandfather, after capture WW1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 April 24 17:11 BST (UK) »
Ah yes, It appears that Thomas Hubbard is not my Thomas. I can see him on census records. Back to the drawing board I suppose.
Richard Dudley of Cosby. Gent
George Bent of Cosby. Gent
William Black of Kilby. Gent
Bernard Cotton of Dadlington. Esq
Sir Thomas Halford of Wistow. Bart
Richard Swynfen of Sutton Cheney. Gent
John Cotes of Aylestone. Gent
John Freeston of East Norton. Gent
Sir John Bernard of Abington.
Edward Shuckburgh of Naseby. Esq
Richard Worsley of Deeping. Esq
Thomas Hobson of Glen. Gent