Author Topic: 1914-18 uniform ID plus (very long shot) possible location  (Read 290 times)

Offline farmeroman

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1914-18 uniform ID plus (very long shot) possible location
« on: Wednesday 10 April 24 14:37 BST (UK) »
The attached photo is of a family member that I always assumed was my grandfather due to the presence of the ambulance in the background (he was in the RAMC).

I now realise that the uniform is not RAMC (no sleeve badge). Someone has placed an X beneath my ancestor (whoever he is) though.

I know it's a very poor image, but can anyone ID the uniform from the cap or lapel badges?

Also any opinions on the location? It appears to be a port somewhere, presumably on the south coast (or could it be France?), so I assume they are about to embark.

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1914-18 uniform ID plus (very long shot) possible location
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 April 24 14:49 BST (UK) »
The resolution of the image is too low to make out the capbadge, which looks circular or square in outline, so defiinitely not the RAMC capbadge. Do you have access to the original photograph? If so, try and get a better picture of just the capbadge.
Slightly improved image below, but still doesn't help much.

Offline farmeroman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 April 24 15:34 BST (UK) »
After a lot of searching through my carefully curated (or so I though) family photos I finally found it. It seems that I had saved the scan into the wrong side of the family and that it is from my other (maternal) grandfather's family. He was in the Army Service Corps (the ASC, later the RASC), but I don't think it's RSC, so it could be one of his brothers.

Written on the back is: "We were just marching back to baracks from the boat then".

Unfortunately the image is very poor, so the high-res zoomed-in image isn't a lot better (if at all).

It does appear to be round and there is what looks like an extra piece in a different shade wrapped around the bottom which I assume to be the regiment name.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 April 24 16:06 BST (UK) »
It's still too indistinct to make a positive identifiaction. The capadge is reminiscient of several Hussars Regiments, but the soldiers are not cavalry, so we can rule them out. The next nearest I can find are the Bedfordsire and Hertfordshire Regiment (see first image below) or the 6th Battalion the Hampshire Regiment.

Offline farmeroman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 April 24 16:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your efforts. I think this one will probably remain a mystery.