Author Topic: Mary Ann Bell Nee Clutton  (Read 1942 times)

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Ann Bell Nee Clutton
« Reply #45 on: Thursday 18 April 24 15:25 BST (UK) »
I think that just about wraps up this thread, except for Alice Bell, I don't have a death for her or a potential marriage, or children.

I actually knew Alice, I used to visit with Elsie in the late 60s early 70s, she always seemed at home in Wheelock and I have a feeling she probably stayed there, where as Elsie at some point returned to Manchester as she married my grandfather in 1930, although I don't know when she returned, the 1921 census might offer up some clues though.

Do you have Alice's exact date of birth, if so, you could use that date to look for her on the 1939 register.

Elsie’s 1930 marriage her address 110 Taylorson Street, Salford, one witness was
William BELL. If available online perhaps check the Electoral Register for that address.

It looks as if Alice is with her father and sister in Salford

Free index 1921 census

Salford Lancashire
Joseph   Bell   1882   Rodeheath, Cheshire,
Elizabeth   Bell   1881   Ambleside, Westmorland
Elsie   Bell           1906   Wheelock, Cheshire
Alice   Bell   1907   Wheelock, Cheshire

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline NorthernGeezer

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Thursday 18 April 24 18:47 BST (UK) »
I have Alices DOB as 15th May 1907 in Sandbach GRO Ref 8a/306.
The William Bell as a witness to Elsie's marriage is her brother, good tip about the electoral register, I'll get right on it.
It would seem the family never lived in Manchester/Salford before Mary Ann's death in 1909, she was in hospital there for treatment, and the girls are listed in Sandbach on the 1911 census.
At some point the family DID move to Manchester/Salford and certainly before 1815 as Joseph was attested to the Manchester regiment at this time, the question which I don't think will be answered is why?

Offline NorthernGeezer

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Friday 19 April 24 20:35 BST (UK) »
I've been in touch with Salford council regarding the electoral roll for 1930, the year of Elsie's marriage to Thomas, to see if Alice was on it............she wasn't, so I've requested a search for the previous 2 years, 1928 when she would have been 21, and 1929, if she is on neither then its clear she moved out sometime between the 1921 census when she was 14 and 1928 when she was 21.....the mystery deepens and the search continues  ::)