Author Topic: matilda mayes/masey  (Read 1857 times)

Offline Vixen999

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: matilda mayes/masey
« Reply #63 on: Friday 19 April 24 22:31 BST (UK) »
@Neale1961  Eliza Moreton looks to be unmarried in the 1871 census, but living 2 doors away were members of the Mays family from Yarmouth.  (William age 17, James Massey's son, and James' widow, Eliza)

Could you give me your thoughts on the 1871 census.  Eliza Morton on all the other census's comes from Yarmouth but on this one, it says London, Middlesex?  Is this likely a transcription error?

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Friday 19 April 24 23:36 BST (UK) »
I don't have a link to that particular census anymore, but I would certainly look at the original document, and not rely on a transcription.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Vixen999

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Saturday 20 April 24 00:36 BST (UK) »
I took a look at the original document as well as the transcription and both documents say she was born middlesex.  However, Eliza Morton on the rest of the census's found all say birmingham.

Offline Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Saturday 20 April 24 00:56 BST (UK) »
Are you looking at the correct census?

The one I viewed in 1871 has her born Birmingham. She has her first 3 sons with her that are the same as family in 1881.  Previous page is as Neale mentioned family of Thomas Mayes. Sis in law Eliza Mayes has born Middlesex, cannot comment as did not trace extended family.

Family is Morton on other records. Look for Albert Moreton age 2 son born Birmingham

1871 - Birmingham - Piece 3111, Folio   35, Page number   36
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Offline Vixen999

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Saturday 20 April 24 11:26 BST (UK) »
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discoveryui-content/view/2940027:7619?tid=171140111&pid=332576825322&queryId=d1aacc03-a119-4a04-8065-02fcf0bbea13&_phsrc=UEf85&_phstart=successSource

This is the 1871 census where on the previous page it has Eliza Mayes and son william.  So is this Eliza Morton who got together with Thomas Mayes?  Eliza and Thomas didn't marry.

Eliza Bassingthwaite was the widow of James born Norfolk, they had a son William born 1854