Author Topic: Help to trace Cemetery  (Read 396 times)

Offline garngad

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Help to trace Cemetery
« on: Thursday 11 April 24 09:28 BST (UK) »
Trying to trace cemetery possibly Bellshill/Bothwell for an American distant relative they have a picture of the headstone but no location details are for a
William McLennan (1859) married Elizabeth Caddell (1864)
marriage 1883 Bairds Row Bothwell according to forms of Free church of Scotland
William died 3 feb 1918 Neilson St Bellshill his widow emigrated to America shortly after and passed away in 1936 in LA California. Have attached a picture of the headstone hoping that it helps to trace the cemetery providing it is here in Scotland and not a memorial in the USA. many thanks in advance Garngad.
Henderson
Crawford

Offline MrLevity

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help to trace Cemetery
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 April 24 16:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Garngad,

The picture doesn't show much in the way of background features to help pinpoint a possible location but a search of family trees featuring William states he was buried in Bothwellpark cemetery, 22 High Wood Gardens, Bellshill ML4 3PG, which would fit the date and location of his death.  Several of the trees also feature a picture of William.

Been a while since I've been in that cemetery but I will keep my eyes out next time I am there.

Dean

Offline garngad

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 April 24 16:58 BST (UK) »
Dean thats very good of you thanks so much for the info I will try and get over sometime myself and take a wee walk around.
Henderson
Crawford

Offline garngad

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 April 24 14:10 BST (UK) »
Many thanks again Dean and all viewers of the post the headstone is now been located I got lucky today and viewed the right section and came upon it within 10 mins their where very many headstones of the same look but  I stumbled upon it with ease I am now emailing my distant relatives so they can go and view when they arrive in Scotland sadly I will be in sunny Spain while they are here (boohoo). Garngad
Henderson
Crawford

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 April 24 14:37 BST (UK) »
That's good news garngad great that you found the location

Rosie

Offline MrLevity

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 April 24 14:49 BST (UK) »
Its great that you found it so fast garngad, I also think it is in remarkable condition for its age.  It got me thinking that there is a similar designed stone next to my Great Great Grandmothers grave in Old Monkland Cemetery from around the same period, a quite distinctive look and that is also in good condition, must have been built to last back then.

Offline garngad

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 12 April 24 16:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks Rosie and Dean aye i noticed a lot of similar or exact headstone's in this Cemetery and all about the same era they must have cost a few bob I'm glad it is still standing as you know the policy now is to topple any that show movement these seem to be well built from 100 years or so. PS the tree in the orginal picture is well established and the headstone has tree like trunks as a feature in stone but I noticed an actual tree root across the grave itself from the tree next to it profound I think. Garngad
Henderson
Crawford

Offline garngad

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 06 May 24 13:59 BST (UK) »
A wee update for all those who helped it turned out the descendant's of William McLennan (1850) where still in Scotland when I returned from holiday and wanted to meet up so a quick visit to bothwellpark cem and a very sunny day made for a hands across the sea moment it feels really good that the headstone was still intact after all these years and his (cant remember exact) grt x3 grandson and wife where to be united with his last resting place thanks again for the help and interest. Garngad
Henderson
Crawford

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 06 May 24 14:47 BST (UK) »
That's lovely you were able to meet up  ;)

Rosie