Author Topic: Jane Dillon / Canavan  (Read 317 times)

Offline mulberry-rose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Jane Dillon / Canavan
« on: Thursday 11 April 24 14:37 BST (UK) »
Hi, I’ve come to a brick wall with one of my ancestors, Jane Dillon. She was born about 1851 in Old Monkland to Patrick Dillon and Ann Drain/Rae. Her younger sister Annie is my gx3 grandmother.

I found a possible marriage of 23 Nov 1874 at Bridgeton to William Canavan/Cannivan. Also their son, John Canavan born 22 Jan 1875 and baptised Feb 1875 at St Mary the Assumption, Calton. (There is not a birth record on ScotlandsPeople for John, this is a baptism from findmypast)

There is a possible 1881 census for them at Cambuslang, 37 Newton Colliery. William’s name is John instead, but I do think this is them because of the proximity to Jane’s family. Her parents Patrick & Annie live at 38 Newton Colliery and her sister Annie lives with her husband   Francis Green in 35 Newton Colliery.

37 (Old Row) Newton Colliery
John Cannivan (38) Coal Miner, Ireland
Jane Cannivan (27) Old Monkland
John Cannivan (6) Glasgow

38 (Old Row) Newton Colliery
Patrick Dillon (60)
Ann Dillon (58)
John Dillon (3 mth, grandson)

35 (Old Row) Newton Colliery
Francis Green (30)
Ann Green (27)
Mary Ann Green (6)
Patrick Green (5)
Jane Green (8 mths)

After that I can’t find her (or son John) at all.

Many thanks   :)
Bell, Keogh, McIntyre, Muldoon, Rooney, Conroy, Storey, Burrell, Gibson (Northumberland)
Campbell, Myers, Henderson, Ford, Lewis (Durham)
Rooney, Green (Lanarkshire)
Carter (Yorkshire)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Jane Dillon / Canavan
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 April 24 15:02 BST (UK) »
You say a "possible" marriage - have you downloaded the marriage cert to check who her parents were?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online garngad

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 April 24 15:08 BST (UK) »
There is a possible birth for your baptism for John.
CANAVAN
JOHN
M
644 / 2 / 163
CAMLACHIE
Camlachie is bordering with Bridgeton and St Mary's is in the middle of the border.
Henderson
Crawford

Offline mulberry-rose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 April 24 15:58 BST (UK) »
You say a "possible" marriage - have you downloaded the marriage cert to check who her parents were?

23 Nov 1874, St Mary’s Chapel, Glasgow
William Canavan, 23, coal miner, abode 43 Westmuir Street Glasgow. Son of John Canavan miner & Mary Canavan MN Campbell

Jane Dillon, 24, printfield worker, abode 41 Westmuir Street Glasgow. Dau of Patrick Dillon (coal miner) & Ann MN Graham

Witnesses were Henry Dunigan(?) and Mary Dillon (which I think could be Jane’s younger sister)

Although Ann’s maiden name is wrong I think it is her. Her actual maiden name is “Rae” but has been mistaken as Drane, etc.

Also if I recall in Annie Dillon & Francis Green’s marriage, 25 Sep 1873, their abode was listed as 7 Westmuir & 119 Westmuir respectively. Witness to that marriage was William Cannivan & Jane Dillon
Bell, Keogh, McIntyre, Muldoon, Rooney, Conroy, Storey, Burrell, Gibson (Northumberland)
Carter (Yorkshire)

Offline mulberry-rose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 April 24 16:06 BST (UK) »
There is a possible birth for your baptism for John.
CANAVAN
JOHN
M
644 / 2 / 163
CAMLACHIE
Camlachie is bordering with Bridgeton and St Mary's is in the middle of the border.

Thank you! I will check this out.
Carter (Yorkshire)

Offline mulberry-rose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 April 24 16:27 BST (UK) »
Just found William’s death, which was a bit confusing as there was also a death for a John Canavan MN Campbell.

Died 5 Feb 1882, 38 Newton Colliery, Cambuslang at 4?:00AM. Husband of Jane Dillon, son of John Canavan (deceased) and Mary Canavan (deceased). Cause of death a fractured neck (2 days)  :o.

There is a correction entry but that only clarifies the death was in Patrick Dillon’s house.

It’s good to have closure for William but only if that could work the same for Jane  ::)

Carter (Yorkshire)

Offline mulberry-rose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 11 April 24 17:44 BST (UK) »
Done a bit more digging on Jane and I have traced her up to about 1888 now, but I wasn’t expecting this  :-\

10 Apr 1888, St Francis(?) Chapel Cumberland Street, Glasgow. Marriage of John Dalton (coal miner,  widow, son of James Dalton & Mary Marr?) & Jane Dillon (dau of Patrick Dillon & Jane (Ann) Drane). Abode 336(?) Matheson Street.

“John Dalton and Jane Dillon or Dalton, two miserable looking persons were charged with culpable homicide. It was alleged between 1st May and 22nd June in the house occupied by them at 236 Matheson Street, Glasgow, the prisoners neglected to provide necessary food and attention, Mary Dalton, infant daughter of John Dalton and stepdaughter of Jane Dalton, aged 12-13 months so that she died on the 23rd June.”
Carter (Yorkshire)

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 12 April 24 12:41 BST (UK) »

"John Dalton and Jane Dillon or Dalton, two miserable looking persons were charged with culpable homicide. It was alleged between 1st May and 22nd June in the house occupied by them at 236 Matheson Street, Glasgow, the prisoners neglected to provide necessary food and attention, Mary Dalton, infant daughter of John Dalton and stepdaughter of Jane Dalton, aged 12-13 months so that she died on the 23rd June.”

Wow, what a shocker! And a small world too. My great-great-grandparents (surname Weldon) lived at 236 Matheson Street from 1870 until they were admitted to Govan Poorhouse in 1896. It must have been quite a building.
Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline mulberry-rose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 01 May 24 17:29 BST (UK) »
Lodger

I certainly wasn’t expecting it when browsing through ancestry. Sadly I haven’t gotten any further into finding what happened to Jane after she was imprisoned. It’s fascinating that your greatx2 grandparents lived in the same building-what are the chances?  I remember an article mentioned that other tenants alerted the children’s society about Mary’s condition.
Carter (Yorkshire)