Author Topic: Mckinley/Mckinlay/Mackinlay  (Read 136 times)

Offline Eazye90

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mckinley/Mckinlay/Mackinlay
« on: Friday 12 April 24 05:12 BST (UK) »
I have hit a MASSIVE brick wall hoping I can find out some kind of info I am from America and I am having a very tough time tracking any kind of leads down. I am looking for any kind of information about Daniel  Mckinley here are other ways to spell it Mckinlay Mackinlay I have yet to find an official birth record for him on a marriage record it says he was born in 1797 in old monkland and no parents names I know he was a coal miner and had at least 5 children one being name peter he married Isabelle Muirhead on June 13 he is way old then her. they came to us on a ship called the Harvest. I have been searching since 2021 for any kind of info. Hopefully someone could lead me In the right direction

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Mckinley/Mckinlay/Mackinlay
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 April 24 10:58 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat :)

According to the index at Scotland's People www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk Daniel McKinlay and Isabella Muirhead were married on 13 June 1830 in the parish of Barony, Lanarkshire. Barony is part of the city of Glasgow.

Also in the baptisms index at SP are three children of Daniel M*c*k*n*l and Isabella Muirhead. There's also one to Peter M*c*k*n*l* and Isabella Muirhead. It would not surprise me if Peter is an error and Izobel is another child of Daniel's. See screenshot.

Obviously they were still in Scotland in 1841, and I think they were in Shettleston, parish of Barony, in 1841. See screenshot from https://freecen1.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

Daniel is listed as aged 40 in 1841. Adults' ages were supposed to be rounded down to the nearest 5 years, and the census was taken on 7/8 June 1841, so someone recorded as aged 40 should have been born between 7 June 1796 and 6 Jun 1801. This fits the birth year you have for your Daniel.

There is a baptism of a Daniel McKinlay in the parish of Greenock, Renfrewshire, in 1797, but there are no surviving records of baptisms of Daniel McKinlays in Lanarkshire in 1797.

Going back to the 1841 census, there's a Janet who could be a daughter of either Daniel or Isabella by a previous relationship, or their own daughter born before their marriage. Then there are
Daniel, born 1831/1832 (from census)
William, born 1834/1835 (baptism and census)
Izobel 1837 (baptism) - probably died in infancy
Peter 1840 (baptism and census)
Isabella 1844 (baptism)

They must have emigrated between 1844 and 1851 - I have not found them in the 1851 census.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 April 24 11:01 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat

https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

It looks likely that Daniel was born before 1797 and certainly before 1790 and was married twice. He could have been born in Scotland or Ireland or elsewhere, viewing some of the baptisms on SP (above) below may help?

DANIEL MCKINLAY married AGNES TURNER 26/12/1808 GLASGOW

Baptisms GLASGOW

ELIZABETH 16/04/1821, ISOBELLA 28/03/1823,

MARY 11/05/1826, JANET 5/10/1828

No death record for Agnes but death records at many parishes are limited before Statutory Registration began in 1855.

DANIEL MCKINLAY married ISABELLA MUIRHEAD 13/06/1830 BARONY, Glasgow

Baptisms
OLD MONKLAND OR COATBRIDGE
Daniel about 1832 – no record?
WILLIAM 6/12/1833
PETER 19/04/1840
ISABELLA 8/09/1844

1841 Shettleston, Lanarkshire (Freecen)

Daniel 40 Coal Miner, Isobella 40.

Janet 15 Cotton Power Loom Weaver

Daniel 9, William 6, Peter 1

I do not see the family in 1851?

Hope this helps.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 April 24 11:08 BST (UK) »
The family is in the USA by 1850 census - both Daniel and Isabella are age 52 in this census.
So Daniel was not a lot older than his wife.
The family emigrated in 1848.

I don’t agree that Daniel had an earlier marriage in 1808.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)