Author Topic: Person alive but not mentioned in 1901 census.  (Read 4384 times)

Offline Leon47

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Person alive but not mentioned in 1901 census.
« on: Friday 12 April 24 20:30 BST (UK) »
This is just a general question really.

I've found my paternal Grandfathers family in the 1901 census, living in Belfast. My Grandfather isn't listed but that's OK because I've found him shown in a census taken in an army camp.

His mother is shown on the census as 'Head of family' and Married but her husband, my Great Grandfather, who would have been around the same age as her at 50 years, is not listed.

He was definitely alive then because he appears as a Labourer in my Grandfathers marriage certificate the next year, 1902.

There are probably many reasons why a 50 year old wouldn't appear in a census and why his wife would appear as Head and Married (rather than Widow).

Could anyone suggest the reasons? I've done a general all-Ireland search for his name and all of the results show other large families.

The only think I can imagine is if we was in the services - eg Merchant Navy, so that like my Grandfather, he would be listed in some other Census. If so, is there any way of tracing him?

Thanks.

Edit: I've just realised that 'Next of Kin' on my Grandfathers Boer War Attestation quotes his Mother.  Wouldn't that normally be his Father - the one who's missing in the families 1901 census return?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Person alive but not mentioned in 1901 census.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 April 24 21:14 BST (UK) »
The census was supposed to record the people actually in the household on a particular night so possibly the husband was elsewhere that night be wasn't recorded in that other location. Have you searched for the husband under just initials in case he was in an institution (hospital, gaol, etc.)?
Irish marriage certificates don't always record a father as deceased you you can't assume he was alive in 1902 except that his wife says she's married in 1901 (unless she didn't fill in the form correctly?).
If you want to provide more details (names, location, etc.) we can do some checking.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 April 24 21:18 BST (UK) »
Just because your grandfather's marriage registration in 1902 states his father was a laborer in no way establishes that the latter was "definitely alive". It just states what his profession was, which is all that was asked.

So as to why your great-grandfather was not listed on the 1901 census, there are many possibilities:
- He may have been dead (mistake on wife's entry to say married rather than widowed)
- In prison
- In hospital
- In workhouse
- Away in Boer War
- At sea
- Temporarily working abroad
- Deserted family
- Etc, etc.

BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 April 24 21:18 BST (UK) »
Is your great grandmother in 1911 census? How is she described?
What about her death? Is she a widow then?
Have you found a death for your great  grandfather?

Check to see if he is in the hospital/workhouse with just his initials - as Wexflyer suggests.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 April 24 21:19 BST (UK) »

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline Leon47

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 12 April 24 21:24 BST (UK) »
Is this the 1901 household you mentioned?
https://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Shankhill/Glenfarne_Street/948533/

Thanks everyone. Yes, that's the one. The missing mans name is John Todd.

Offline Leon47

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 12 April 24 21:27 BST (UK) »
Is this the 1901 household you mentioned?
https://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Shankhill/Glenfarne_Street/948533/
If the above entry is the correct family then Maria is down as a widow in 1911-
https://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Court_Ward/Ariel_Street/147508/

Thanks for that - your post came as I was responding to your earlier post. That's very quick!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 12 April 24 21:27 BST (UK) »
Daughter Lavenia's birth shows father as John Todd, furnaceman.