Author Topic: Rounsley - 1870s Namaqualand area  (Read 89 times)

Offline Susie8

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rounsley - 1870s Namaqualand area
« on: Monday 15 April 24 17:40 BST (UK) »
Richard Rounsley, born 1848 at Mary Tavy, Devonshire, UK left England circa 1866 to work in a copper mine in South Africa where he spent the next eight or so years.  He briefly returned to UK in 1874 and then accompanied his brothers to USA before returning to South Africa.  In January 1877 he married 16 year old Louisa Wilhelmina Goldbach and their daughter Louisa Jane Rounsley was born in July 1877 and died a few days later.  Richard Rounsley died on 22nd January 1879 (his wife later remarried).  I understand there was another daughter born to Richard, her name was registered as Veitje Rounsley and her mother named as Veitje Beukes, when baptised in 1878 at Namaqualand.  This baptismal record stated her birth to have been in 1873 (this date would have been prior to Richard's short return to UK).  I have been unable to locate any information concerning Veitje Rounsley so any assistance would be very much appreciated.   

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Rounsley - 1870s Namaqualand area
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 April 24 18:01 BST (UK) »
Possible death of Veitje Beukes aged 5 shortly after her baptism: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:682L-YYC8

Also see the baptism image:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33S7-9T7B-P88
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Susie8

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rounsley - 1870s Namaqualand area
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 April 24 16:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you so very much for this information.   I've really appreciated your assistance regarding this matter.   
Thanks again.