Author Topic: Address Help needed - Death Ceritificate Address re Joseph CLIFFORD 1936  (Read 362 times)

Offline helenmcd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Ladyshippers
    • View Profile
I am hoping someone can help with the address recorded on my Gt Uncle Joseph CLIFFORD'S Death Certificate of February 1936.

The address where he died, on 17the February 1936, is given as 3 No. ! Road, Leckwith Cardiff UD. It's not an address I've come across for him but my question is about where it is? I've asked in a FB group but despite many replies and efforts to help, no-one has been able to suggest the likely address, apart from there being other roads/streets that were just given numbers while the area was being developed. The informant on the certificate section states: "Certificate received from Gerald Tudor Coroner for Cardiff, Inquest held 20th February 1936", so no clues to address there. The death wasn't the result of an accident or anything likely to be mentioned in a newspaper.

I've been given copies of directory pages for 1914 and 1937 and I have the census records for 1921, as well as the 1939 Register entry for his widow but none of those offer a definitive answer. I know that it is not No. 1 Leckwith Road, as that is a pub that existed for a long time before 1936 and is still extant. 

Any help or suggestions would be very gratefully received.
Clifford, Brigden, Banks, Woolgar, Comber, Coomber, Ridley, Shipley, McDiarmid, Picknell, Mathias, Evans, Morgan, Cottington, Sturt, Illman, Best etc

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Address Help needed - Death Ceritificate Address re Joseph CLIFFORD 1936
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 April 24 18:59 BST (UK) »
Is there a particular reason why it is so important?  Have you located a burial record which may possibly have his address (but no guarantees)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 April 24 19:08 BST (UK) »
I take it Joseph was married to Blanche. Whilst not easy for you living where you do the electoral register for 1934-36 Leckwith for Joseph & Blanche may hold the key to the address.

SS

Offline helenmcd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Ladyshippers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 April 24 19:43 BST (UK) »
I take it Joseph was married to Blanche. Whilst not easy for you living where you do the electoral register for 1934-36 Leckwith for Joseph & Blanche may hold the key to the address.

SS

Thank you for the quick reply.

Joseph was indeed married to Blanche, maiden name HISSEY. The electoral register will be a challenge from here. I know Blanche is registered at Greenway Road in the 1937 Directory and 1939 Register. I've been told that road is now Leckwith Close but I don't know if that links to the address I've asked about.

I haven't been able to find an earlier directory I can access online.

Helen
Clifford, Brigden, Banks, Woolgar, Comber, Coomber, Ridley, Shipley, McDiarmid, Picknell, Mathias, Evans, Morgan, Cottington, Sturt, Illman, Best etc

Offline helenmcd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Ladyshippers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 April 24 19:49 BST (UK) »
Is there a particular reason why it is so important?  Have you located a burial record which may possibly have his address (but no guarantees)

I'm not sure I'd class it as particularly important, except that it is a new, and at present, unresolved gap in my research. I'd like to resolve it if possible.

I don't have any burial information at present. Being very unfamiliar with the area, and living a long way away makes things more of a challenge.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 15 April 24 20:16 BST (UK) »
I wonder if the records office have ER's for that period & may be able to help?

I think these are their contact details - may be worthwhile either emailing or ringing them

Glamorgan Archives
Clos Parc Morgannwg
Leckwith
CARDIFF
CF11 8AW

Telephone:     (029) 2087 2200
Email:             GlamRO@cardiff.gov.uk
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline helenmcd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Ladyshippers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 15 April 24 20:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you. I may well try that.

Offline willyam

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 16 April 24 22:32 BST (UK) »
Helen,

In the British Newspaper Archive there is a report of the Inquest in the Herald Cymraeg issue of 2nd March 1936.

As this is in Welsh, I do not know how comprehensive or helpful it may be - but the only address reference seems to be that of: 'Leckwith'

Willyam

Offline helenmcd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Ladyshippers
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 16 April 24 22:45 BST (UK) »
Thank you Willyam. I didn't think there'd be anything.