Author Topic: Old documents - what to do?  (Read 232 times)

Offline ellie1789

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Old documents - what to do?
« on: Monday 15 April 24 20:06 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I stopped my mother throwing away some old documents when her stepfather died. He was the last in his family for a few generations. As the documents are of no relation to me, I’d like to send them somewhere that they’re more appreciated. They range in type - some probates from the 1830s, mortgage documents from the 1900s, planning documents etc. I’m more wanting to preserve the probates as they’re all original with the wax stamps etc. Would I be best taking them to an archive centre? Trouble is they cover various places in the Midlands and Worcestershire. I wish I had more time to research the individuals and find closer relatives, but I think the archives may make them more accessible to others. They however might not be interested. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you in advance
WOLVERHAMPTON - Stanley, Clark, Ellis, McMillan, Bailey, Vaughan, Wall, Walton. BURTON UPON TRENT - Goodhead. Shropshire - Roberts. IRELAND - Prendergast. BIRKENHEAD - Burrows, Simpson. GLASGOW- McMillan.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Old documents - what to do?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 April 24 20:19 BST (UK) »
Have you checked the Surname Interests Board to see if any other RC member is researching the same family?  Scroll to bottom of page & link is under TOOLS

If you have Ancestry access - you could check if anybody has a Tree for the people involved and may appreciate having the docs
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline MollyC

• RootsChat Member
  • Preserving the past for the future
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 April 24 22:54 BST (UK) »
Ask Worcestershire or Warwickshire Archives for advice.

Archives are often held as collections which do not relate to a single archive authority, but it is the entity of the collection which is important.  If placed in a public archive they are available to anyone who may be interested, rather than having an uncertain long term future in the possession of one person.

Offline ellie1789

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 April 24 08:35 BST (UK) »
That’s what I thought. I’ll message them to see if they’re interested otherwise I’ll try to send them to a distant relative I find online. I don’t have much time for research anymore which makes it hard. The main surname is quite common - Taylor
WOLVERHAMPTON - Stanley, Clark, Ellis, McMillan, Bailey, Vaughan, Wall, Walton. BURTON UPON TRENT - Goodhead. Shropshire - Roberts. IRELAND - Prendergast. BIRKENHEAD - Burrows, Simpson. GLASGOW- McMillan.