Author Topic: Intestate  (Read 182 times)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Intestate
« on: Monday 15 April 24 20:30 BST (UK) »
Hi, anyone know (or can let me have a link to a site which explains) how an estate is decided when a person dies intestate? Have seen programmes like heir hunters on tv but never been anywhere near a situation like it before. I appreciate they create family trees and contact everyone before settling the estate.

Have a friend whose mother may well be involved in an estate where her (deceased) father was a first cousin to the man who has recently died. The family had never heard of the deceased man but i have now found out how they are related, but wondering how far / wide these things go (his parents are dead, he had no siblings and never married).

Thanks,

Deirdre
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Intestate
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 April 24 21:16 BST (UK) »
Try this link

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/5a80ded640f0b62302695f7d/choice-not-chance-flow-chart.pdf

It’s easier than trying to explain verbally

Mike

Added
The aunts and/or uncles have to have been alive on the day he died.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 April 24 21:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks mazi will read that now. My friend’s mother and her brother are still alive but i’m trying (more for interest than anything else really as the company is obviously doing the work) to get a picture for the family while they wait. It’s been a fascinating and complex branch of the tree.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 April 24 21:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks mazi, that’s very helpful. Next job is working out the uncles and aunts! There could be quite a few.