Author Topic: Thomas Flintoft, Ipswich, died c.1746  (Read 79 times)

Offline windy_miller

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Thomas Flintoft, Ipswich, died c.1746
« on: Monday 15 April 24 22:24 BST (UK) »
This evening I'm trying to dig up information on a gent called Thomas Flintoft, who was dead by 1746, and I believe lived in Ipswich (may be St. Margaret's or St. Helens).

A lady called Grace Harland was administratrix of his estate.

Any help would be great!

Windy
windmills, watermills, steam-mills, bark-mills, cotton mills, &c. millwrights & millers

Offline QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Flintoft, Ipswich, died c.1746
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 April 24 01:29 BST (UK) »
In January 1728, a David Mallett is indentured as an apprentice to a Thomas Flinteft of Ipswich, miller.

In May the same year, Thomas Flinteft of Ipswich, single, and Elizabeth Walker of Brantham, widow, married in Brantham by licence.

Their first child, Thomas, was baptised on 10th June 1729 at Ipswich St Peter. He was buried on 13th June 1732.
Robert was baptised on 13th April 1731 at the same parish, but was buried only 8 days later.
William was baptised the same day as Robert, but was buried only 2 days later.

On 5th November 1731, Elizabeth, the wife of Thomas Flintoft, was buried at Ipswich St Peter.
How desperately sad for this family, to lose 3 children and the mother.

Thomas himself was buried on 21st September 1746 at Ipswich St Peter.

Grace Harland, wife of George Harland, was buried on 23rd August 1750 at Ipswich St Peter.

On 3rd November 1730, Grace Flintoft of either Yarm, Yorkshire or Darlington, Durham and George Harland married in Yarm by licence. She was aged 25, so born c.1705. Likely Thomas' sister?

Queenie  :)
Fidler - West Ilsley, Berkshire
Hamlin/Hamlyn - Long Sutton & Martock, Somerset
Head - Marlborough & Alton Priors, Wiltshire
Minson - Kingstone, Somerset/Symondsbury, Dorset
Owsley - Buckland St Mary, Somerset
Pyke - (West) Weeke/Wick, Pewsey, Wiltshire
Salisbury - Dowlish Wake/West Dowlish, Somerset

Offline windy_miller

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Flintoft, Ipswich, died c.1746
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 April 24 13:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Queenie,

Yes, it is sad, and shines a light on how medicine has progressed!  There is a Sweffling family (can't remember the name), but they lost all their children bar 1 before the reached majority.  I suspect that was a gene thing?

Also, very interesting that Flinteft/Flintoft seem to come from north.  It did not strike me as a Suffolk name!
windmills, watermills, steam-mills, bark-mills, cotton mills, &c. millwrights & millers