Author Topic: Chelsea Pensioner Look Up Please  (Read 188 times)

Offline elinga

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My mum and dad circa 1946
    • View Profile
Chelsea Pensioner Look Up Please
« on: Tuesday 16 April 24 11:30 BST (UK) »
I am trying to seek further information on my four times great grandfather John McKennon !
according to a headstone erected by his daughter Helen McKennon  in Irvine Ayrshire Scotland , he died in Chelsea in October 1810 aged 24, giving him an estimated dob of 1786 .
he was "married" to Isabella Black McKinnon and on her death certificate , she was the widow of John McKinnon , soldier , she was born in Arran, Buteshire, Scotland .
their daughter Helen was born in 1808 on the Isle of Arran Bute Scotland .
this is the only information I have !
so "soldier" and dying in Chelsea suggests he was a Chelsea Pensioner but this has not been confirmed !
I have checked National Archives but the correct John McKInnon/McKennon doesnt seem to be there
any help would be gratefully appreciated !
regards
Elinga
Everyday is a school day !!!!

McCrory/McCrorie Orr and McCafferty , Northern Ireland
Orr, Adair, McCafferty,McCrorie and McCrory, Millar,Strachan, Lewis,Linn, Arnott, Scott,Kerr,McKinnon , Jeffrey or Jaffrey,Lambie, Findlay and Meechan Ayrshire Scotland.

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Chelsea Pensioner Look Up Please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 April 24 18:09 BST (UK) »
...so "soldier" and dying in Chelsea suggests he was a Chelsea Pensioner but this has not been confirmed

In-Pensioners at Chelsea had to surrender their pensions, and have no dependants. So it doesn't appear your man would've met the requirements to be a Chelsea In-Pensioner.

Army pensions were awarded to soldiers who were injured or disabled during service; who were ‘worn out’, chronically ill and not fit for duty; or who had served an agreed term of service. In the 18th and early 19th centuries this was usually 21 years, but later soldiers could receive a pension after 12 years.

So, unless he was injured or disabled he wouldn't have qualified for a pension by age 24.

Is there an occupation listed for him on daughter Helen's 1808 baptism record?
Have you searched for a circa 1810 burial record for him in London?