Author Topic: D'Arcy Genealogy  (Read 225 times)

Offline Evandarcy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
D'Arcy Genealogy
« on: Wednesday 17 April 24 10:41 BST (UK) »
Hello, I was wondering if anyone had any information or knows how I can find my ancestors. I have an eight generation gap that I'd like to piece together. My 5th Great grandfather is James D'Arcy born about 1786 in either Dublin or Meath and he died on the 18th of April 1866 in Donnybrook, Dublin. He is possibly the son of Edward D'Arcy born about 1742 in Oldcastle, Meath. I then have an eight generation gap up until my possibly 14th great grandfather George D'Arcy of Platten born about 1475 in Platten, Meath and died about 1532 in Meath. He is the son of Sir William D'Arcy of Platten.
How do I fill in the eight generation gap and find my ancestors names?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: D'Arcy Genealogy
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 April 24 11:34 BST (UK) »
How do I fill in the eight generation gap and find my ancestors names?
The same way you do any other research- back step by step to see if you can find a link and don't rely on other people's trees (use then as a guide to your own searches and not as a source).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Seelife

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 April 24 15:25 BST (UK) »
Hi, Before you even consider jumping back so far, you need to sort out the later lineage. You say that you think your ancester was born about 1786, in either Dublin or Meath. That's a big set of if's.
I find at least 6 records of a James Darcy in Ireland at about that time. For example, my yDNA has solid connections back into Scandinavia, but I am at a brickwall at 1735 and no matter what I cannot connect those dots and its pointless making up dots... You need to make sure your later lines are rock solid before you posit an ancestor 300 years earlier. It may be you are related, same way I am related to some Viking or any number of Winds in County Durham, but without proof, then you are not.
As mentioned by aghadowey, just because some tree on Ancestry say it is so, it ain't until proven. Almost ALL their trees for my line on Ancestry are incorrect even in the 1700s, do not trust them unless they have rock solid sources. Sorry to be so unhelpful, but good luck.
Winn, Wynne, Wynd, Wind, Winde

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 April 24 20:39 BST (UK) »
I am a bit puzzled. Why do you think that this 15th century birth "possibly" repersents your ancestor?How on earth can you consider that if, by your reckoning, there are eight unknown generations unaccounted for?

I'm looking at my tree, and 8 generations back from me takes me to births in the late 1600s - mid 1700s (where I've been able to trace back that far - most of my paternal brickwalls occur before I can go back 8 generations, and that's despite all the resources available).  So to me, your query is similar to the idea that I could select someone with my surname who was born 3 centuries ago and decide that they are one of my ancestors.

Or perhaps there is more to your reasoning that this? In which case I apologise, but perhaps you need to lay out what evidence you may have so that people can make valid suggestions.
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)