Author Topic: Date of photo please early 20C  (Read 210 times)

Offline meeganf

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Date of photo please early 20C
« on: Thursday 18 April 24 01:19 BST (UK) »
Hi

Have a photo of Frederick and Percival Robinson, taken in NSW. I'm trying to tie down an age at death of Frederick, (bn abt 1838) the older man. The latest date of any DCs I can find I have is 1918 and the age on that one is 86. The younger man Percy, was bn in 1878 and he died in 1949 aged 71.

There must be another DC that I can't find because it looks to me that that Percy is abt. 40 and Frederick abt. 80. So... the question is do the clothes look like pre WW1 or a lot later?

Many thanks for your advice
Meegan

Offline japeflakes

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Date of photo please early 20C
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 April 24 21:13 BST (UK) »
NOT an expert but looks after WW1 to me

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 April 24 21:38 BST (UK) »
This photograph from 1918

https://unreserved.rba.gov.au/nodes/view/46517

The man in the light suit, and the one right at the back both have collar & tie like yours and the white suit man’s jacket length is similar to Percy’s.

Offline meeganf

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 April 24 22:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks to you both, that tightens the timing up  for me

Cheers
Meegan

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 April 24 22:39 BST (UK) »
DO you have this death?

Name   Frederick Robinson
Death Date   1901
Death Place   Newcastle, New South Wales
Registration Date   1901
Registration Place   Newcastle, Australia
Father   Joseph
Mother   Elizabeth
Registration Number   14510

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/216996690/frederick_robinson
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline meeganf

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 April 24 23:08 BST (UK) »
Neale, I think Frederick died in 1918 at Rookwood Asylum. The parents on the Frederick you mention are correct which is why the photo dating does help. I have been assured that it is Frederick and Percival

The DC I have unfortunately has parents unknown but time in colony of 60 years is right but it has his spouse as Ann which is not my Frederick (his 2 wives were Emma and Ellen) . Does the DC you quoted mention spouse/s or children? 4 of Frederick and Ellen's children were bn after 1901?

But it does all depend upon the photo. Newcastle does fit for your DC though.

This family are my (Irish ancestors notwithstanding) brick wall and have only just found Frederick's family
Meegan

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 19 April 24 01:53 BST (UK) »
Does the DC you quoted mention spouse/s or children? 4 of Frederick and Ellen's children were bn after 1901?

You would need to look at the death certificate to see the details of his family, etc.
From the parents’ names and place it looks correct.

His spouse, Ellen was born 1844 and died in 1895 – so children born after 1901 not possible.
Which children do you think were born after 1901?

I suspect the names someone has attached to the posted photo may be incorrect.
I agree the older man looks into his 80s, but the younger man is more than 40 – more like in his 60s. (See the hanging jowls and loose skin around his neck)

If I am looking at the correct family …
Frederick Robinson was born 1837 in Great Shelford, Cambridgeshire to Joseph Robinson (a carpenter) and Elizabeth Stearne

In 1854 Sydney, Frederick married Emma Durrant : Children – Frederick R. 1857-1913, Richard 1859-1897, William Edward 1862 – 1945

A second marriage in 1873 for Frederick to Ellen Mary Gumley, nee Condon: Children – Walter Robert 1874-1934, Charlotte Louisa 1875-1940, Percival Austin 1878-1949
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline meeganf

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 19 April 24 03:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Neale,
The DC I have for the death of Frederick in 1918 has unknown re parents, coming from Bedford and Ann as spouse which are incorrect but DC aren't always reliable . Weare from Frederick's 2nd marriage to Ellen

Yes, you are right - I was looking at Percival's (Frederick's son) children.  You have the correct family. So I'll go and order the DC transcription, I do like to have one source. Might wait until next week, there might be some discounts around Anzac Day.

The photo was a real distraction - if it was abt 1918 I'll and my 96 yr old uncle is sure that the younger man is Percival, the older man could be anyone!

You did quote Frederick's birth and parents etc correctly - they are as far back as I have been able to go and Elizabeth's surname seems to have a few spellings. Cambridgeshire FHS don't mention the Stearnes but think I have Joseph's bap. Now need to chase up the actual register image

Thanks for letting me vent, Neale, and thanks for sorting me out!
Meegan