Author Topic: How did Brockett became Brockie  (Read 231 times)

Offline Blairvadach

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
How did Brockett became Brockie
« on: Thursday 18 April 24 15:58 BST (UK) »
Hi folks
I am well aware that names regularly get varied and this can be for a variety of reasons!

I am looking for any help with the heirs of Thomas Brockett 1793-1854 as to the reason they were called Brockie!!.
John was born in Wandell and Lamington and moved to Penicuik (probably in 1796). He married Helen Pringle (no marriage found)
They had 5 children born in various parts of Midlothian.. Penicuik, Portobello and Carrington

I have found 2 births  Jean 1817 and john 1819 on SP and the name now becomes Brockie no certificate found for the other 3 but have them on census information.
I have some marriage and death information and the name continues to be Brockie.

John 1793 was still named Brockett on his death certificate 15/12/1854

Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks
Glasgow Warriors
Allotment
Walking the dog.
Reading
Family History
Researching...Brockett, Muir, McLeod, Ross

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: How did Brockett became Brockie
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 April 24 16:27 BST (UK) »
We have to remember that not many children attended school or only attended school until the age of eleven and even before hat age they would be out in the fields helping with the harvest of, etc.

Another thing to remember is that church vicars, padres, preachers, etc., moved away from the birth places to give guidance in other parishes and did not know the then very strong local dialects.  When I was younger, when Television reception had not reached every place in Britain,  I went to a village only two miles from the place I lived in and couldn't understand a word they were saying !!!!

Additionally when I was growing up practically every word, given name and surname,  was given the local colloquial "ee" on the end doggie, Charles/Charlie,  surname Cram = Crammie., etc.  The younger generation might have been fed up of having to correct other people's pronunciation of their surname that they agreed to change it to accommodate the locals.

The origin (below) states it could have been a Norman word and the Normans were French - many French verbs and other names end in the sound "ee" , e.g. "ez", "et"

It will be interesting to see what other chatters think.

SURNAME:  Brockett
English (of Norman origin): from Middle English bro(c)ket, a term denoting a stag in its second year with its first horns (diminutive of Old French brock), probably applied as a nickname.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 April 24 10:21 BST (UK) »
Another thing to remember is that church vicars, padres, preachers, etc., moved away from the birth places to give guidance in other parishes and did not know the then very strong local dialects.
I have an ancestor named Piercy who was recorded as Pearson when he married in 1806, and my wife has an Anderson recorded (on the original marriage register) as Andrews in 1850.  When you allow for the possibility that many people couldn't offer the 'correct' spelling of their surname, variations are only to be expected.  The recorder would write what he believed was said.

I have transcribed registers for a rural Lancashire parish where the vicar (who was there for decades) regularly recorded Haworths and Howarths apparently at random.
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 April 24 10:43 BST (UK) »
An example in my husband's tree is the surname of Chattam.

In the late 1700's as far as the records I have found the name was Shatton. By the middle of the 1800's it had changed to Chattie and by the end of the centuary it was Chattam and remains so until this day.

This is in Scotland, West Lothian.

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 April 24 11:51 BST (UK) »
In the 1841 Norfolk county census there were families with surnames of "Shearing" but my family was "Shearen".  My direct ancestor moved south to find work where he was documented as "Sharring".   I made contact with the  descendant of the uncle of "Sharring" who had moved west to seek work when he was a young man and his surname was still "Shearen".  At least one of the boys in my Shearen/Shearing family always includes the surname Holyday/Holladay/etc., and the other "Shearing" family included the middle name of "Christmas".
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Zaphod99

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 20 April 24 14:13 BST (UK) »
The four commonest ERRORS for names changing are, one person mishearing it or misreading/mispronouncing it, or somebody else writing it incorrectly or pronouncing it incorrectly.

Zaph