Author Topic: Help with Francis Joseph McNally, baptized in Liverpool by Father Nugent  (Read 462 times)

Offline aelish

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Francis Joseph McNally, baptized in Liverpool by Father Nugent
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 23 April 24 16:34 BST (UK) »
Rebecca appears to be all over the place with her pick-pocketing arrests. Were those McNally children actually born in Prescot, as the workhouse register suggests? I'm thinking they were not - all the baptisms I have were in Philadelphia - with parents recorded as James McNally and Rebecca (McLaughlin) McNally, with the right time frames.

And did James and Rebecca ever marry? Is there a marriage record? The births could be registered under Rebecca's maiden name. There is a marriage entry (see attached - their entry is last on the right hand page) for them in the register of St. Philip Neri church in Philadelphia. There's a story with that, too. The entry appears on the 1864 page of the register, but the marriage is dated 10 JUL 1869. Witness last name "Cuddihy". The entry is not numbered like the other entries on the page, so there's something not right with it. I'm not sure if they married in 1864 and it was recoded erroneously, or if they married in 1869 and it was recorded (for some unknown reason) on the 1864 page.

And who arranged/paid for the children's passage to the USA in 1882? Was it Father Nugent?
No idea at this point - that's a good guess.
McGrath, Magennis, McKay, Kissling, Costello, Barr, Logue, McLoughlin, McNally

Offline aelish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 23 April 24 16:38 BST (UK) »
@heywood - yes, that's the Fr. Nugent I'm focused on.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 23 April 24 17:22 BST (UK) »
Yes, he was involved in children going overseas.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 23 April 24 17:25 BST (UK) »
I'm thinking Father Nugent arranged passage for the McNally children in 1882. That would explain how FJM was able to provide his 1878 baptism details when he married. Perhaps Father Nugent furnished the family with documents when they left the UK, to use in future.

Pity the US 1890 census is missing. Would be interesting to see where the children were from 1882 until the 1900 census. That's if they have been found in the 1900 census.

I think I see the family in the 1870 census (Philadelphia). Husband James is a "Ret liquor dealer?

Offline aelish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 23 April 24 19:24 BST (UK) »
@Ashtone 1870 Census - James age 35 and Rebecca age 27? It could be them, yes. George was about to be born - not sure what day the census was taken as it's blank on their page. Must go back and look at pages before/after. Retail Liquor Dealer - yes.

I have a James and Frank McNally on the 1900 Census - it's a terribly hard to read entry, but it's the last two rows on the image. I don't know what the street is supposed to be - it was transcribed as Casher Street, but I checked a map and the historical street index of Philly and there's no Casher. It could be Castor Avenue, but I don't think that's anywhere the other streets on the Census page - N. 7th, N. Marshall, and Franklin streets.

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 23 April 24 19:36 BST (UK) »
Are you 100% certain that's FJM and James in 1900? I'm looking at the occupations for both. Too faint to make out James' occupation (xxx Park?), but Frank's looks like xxx Music??? Does this tally with what you know about him?

Also, the 1870 census has a "blank" page, but there's another version that is normal and readable.

Offline aelish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 23 April 24 19:42 BST (UK) »
I'm not 100% sure, no. However, on James' death certificate his occupation was listed as a gardener. I think it reads "keeper park" on the 1900 Census. It does look like "music" on FJM's and it looks to me like the word preceding it is "solicitor"... so I'm stumped there.

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 23 April 24 19:47 BST (UK) »
I agree - the 1900 occupation looks like "Solicitor Music". When and where do you have James McNally dying? Seem a bit odd to go from "liquor dealer" and "publican" (Liverpool workhouse register) to a gardener.

Offline aelish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 23 April 24 20:08 BST (UK) »
17 FEB 1912 in Philadelphia. Note that the year of birth recorded is likely wrong. And gardener is misspelled. But the Darien Street address jives with later Census records, and other records for his children.

Informant was a doctor - not sure how accurate the parental info is.