Author Topic: Help please  (Read 292 times)

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help please
« Reply #9 on: Friday 19 April 24 10:15 BST (UK) »
More evidence linking the family to Greenside: In the 1840 tithe record for the parish of Ryton Woodside (includes Greenside) a Mr John Callendar is owner and occupier of two sites. If you go to this OS map view:

https://tinyurl.com/4r267zhe

Start on the west side of the view on the lane where Rockwood Hill is labelled. Head along the lane to the ENE until you come to a footpath running south to a trough and spot height 54.2. The area of land composed of four fields that is bisected by the footpath was John Callendar's land, described in the tithe apportionment as 'land and premises at Greenside' and being a little over 11 acres. Now continue to follow the lane that you were originally following ENE. Just before the road junction, and immediately N of the 'Methodt' in the label for the Wesleyan Chapel, on the north side of the lane is a house with fairly large garden to the north, shown with paths looking like a wicket (cricket). That is John Callendar's property described as 'buildings and gardens to at Do.'
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 19 April 24 10:28 BST (UK) »
Interesting…..perhaps Edward lived in Ovingham as a child - he gives it as his birthplace in both 1851 and 1861. In 1841 he’s in East Rainton, Co. Durham, birthplace ‘out of county’.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 19 April 24 10:55 BST (UK) »
I agree, everything points to him really thinking that he had been born in Ovingham (and perhaps he was).

I thought perhaps his mother’s family might live in Ovingham. She seems to be Amelia Hannah Watts (the marriage was in Newcastle) but there is a strong candidate for this AHW being baptised in London in 1797. I haven’t followed this up any further however.
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon