Author Topic: Alan Edward Elton in Montreal b1877  (Read 708 times)

Online Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Alan Edward Elton in Montreal b1877
« Reply #18 on: Monday 22 April 24 21:15 BST (UK) »
Alan was mistranscribed as Etton.  So was John Elton.  Were the errors on the original forms?

Is there a possibility that his name was actually Etton?
I wonder if he was trying to hide something and fibbed about Montreal?
Another possibility, was the family actually from a small town somewhat near Montreal? 
Alan married when he was in his 40’s.  I wonder if that was his first marriage and if not was he still married to someone else?

Isabel Campbell is my great grandmother. My great grandfather died in SA not long after Isabel's arrival and she was pregnant with my grandfather when she returned to the UK in December.

We only know that Alan existed because we have his medals alongside my great grandfather's (a civilian boar war medal). Him being married to my great grandmother came as quite a shock to my family. I can’t find any divorce records, so I presume they must have stayed married until he died? Despite neither of them seemingly saying anything and living on different continents.

Was the marriage a secret due to Alan possibly having another family - possibly in SA, Alan hiding something from his past, due to private reasons (that she didn’t want to tell her family) by Isabel, or for some other reason?  Having posed the questions, I would still bet that your great grandfather was a respectable man and quite possibly we just haven’t yet found Canadian documents.

Added:  perhaps Alan wanted Isabel to remain with him but she missed “home” yet didn’t want a divorce, hence their separate lives.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 22 April 24 21:32 BST (UK) »
Perhaps I missed it, but was his religious affiliation mentioned?  I’m sure someone will advise if I am incorrect, but I think there are more (Quebec) Roman Catholic records available online than for other religions.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 22 April 24 21:36 BST (UK) »
He was Church of England (Anglican) based on enlistment record I've seen.  Quebec's BMDs were recorded only by the churches up until quite recently (last 20 years). And the records are all online for the timeframe in which he was born altho' the transcriptions are often not the best.

My theory goes like this.  Isobel met Alan in South Africa and he followed her back to the UK where they had a relationship and he finally married her in 1920. Doesn't explain why he left shortly afterwards or why she maintained the use of her first married name. It is possible that the marriage was annulled for some reason. 

Have you found Isobel on the 1921 Census in England or Scotland?

Offline FionaRC

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 22 April 24 22:46 BST (UK) »
Isabella is living in the school she works in 1921 with her mother and my six year old gradfather in rural perthshire. I am pretty certain she never lived with Alan. And can't find a record of Alan returning to the uk between 1914 and 1920. I  I think the reason they married secretly might remain a mystery!

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 23 April 24 02:19 BST (UK) »
There seem to be a couple of Facebook groups that deal specifically with the Boer War which may help you track down the service records. If he was indeed born in Canada, why didn't he join a Canadian regiment?  How did he get to South Africa?

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 23 April 24 23:22 BST (UK) »
I'm seeing an A. Elton, aged 24, planter leaving the UK bound for the Cape, aboard the SS German, on 9 November 1901 which would be just before he re-enlists (or enlists) in December 1901.

I'm also seeing him coming back into the UK  July 27, 1922 aboard the Walmer Castle.

Offline FionaRC

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 24 April 24 22:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks. That's really helpful.

Seems like there is lots of records of him travelling between the UK and South Africa since 1901, but no evidence of him ever being in Canada!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 25 April 24 00:00 BST (UK) »
From Wikipedia, this suggests he would have joined his regiment in Johannesburg:

The Imperial Light Horse was raised by the British in Johannesburg on 21 September 1899 for service in the Second Boer War. Its initial strength was 444 officers and men. It was informally known as the "Reformers Regiment" as many of its officers served on the Reform Committee, or more commonly the Uitlander Regiment by the Transvaal Government and the Boer Commandos.[1][2]

Has the exact date been mentioned for Alan’s first military sign up?  Apologies if this doesn’t fit his enrollment date…

Canada “footed the bill” for an all-volunteer force - Canada paid for recruitment and transportation to South Africa.  The first contingent arrived in South Africa in November 1899.

https://www.warmuseum.ca/learn/dispatches/for-queen-and-country-canadians-and-the-south-african-war-1899-1902/#tabs

If Alan did sail from Canada c1899, perhaps he sailed with the contingent and that is why we have not found him leaving Canada?    ???

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 25 April 24 00:04 BST (UK) »
The service record for Canadians serving in the Boer War is online and searchable and I haven't found him there.

https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/982306?availability=Family%20History%20Library