Author Topic: Toffee apple men -- registered??  (Read 254 times)

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Toffee apple men -- registered??
« on: Friday 19 April 24 17:56 BST (UK) »
I have a man who had been a conscientious objector in WW1. Afterwards, struggling to find work, he 'applied for registration as a toffee apple man' and followed this line of work for the rest of his life. It's obvious what he did, what surprised me was that he needed registration. Presumably this was to allow him to sell his wares on the street? This is in Suffolk, by the way, if that's relevant. Any comments welcomed.
Condick; Bull (Herefordshire only); Layard; Wilmot; Southgate; Fowlie (Singapore branch); Usher (Dundrum); Kelley (Lancashire);

Online PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Toffee apple men -- registered??
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 April 24 19:10 BST (UK) »
A hawker or pedlar required a licence.

All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 April 24 19:37 BST (UK) »
A hawker or pedlar required a licence.

You beat me to it.  A hawker had to (and still has to) pay for a licence from the local authority tp sell wares or a service (such as a knife sharpener) in the streets.   I was surprised recently to see how much a modern hawker was fined in Singapore for selling hot chestnuts (yum yum) without a licence.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 April 24 08:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you both very much! Of course it's obvious he would have needed a licence once I gave it two minutes' thought. I'm still astonished that my chap apparently made a living out of it -- that's a lot of apples!
Condick; Bull (Herefordshire only); Layard; Wilmot; Southgate; Fowlie (Singapore branch); Usher (Dundrum); Kelley (Lancashire);

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 April 24 08:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you both very much, I should have realised that a licence would be needed. I am still surprised that he apparently made a living out it -- that's a lot of apples!