Author Topic: Adoption 1921  (Read 581 times)

Offline Brendaedna

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Adoption 1921
« on: Friday 19 April 24 18:08 BST (UK) »
I know my mother’s birth surname and her adopted surname and date she was born in 1921. Her birth certificate states her original surname and adopted surname … her first name and middle name remains as registered. From birth records her mother’s maiden name is the same as my mums. So she was an unmarried mother at the time of my mums birth. No name for father. On one of the Birth Records there is a symbol at the side of her name denoting that she was adopted. I think that’s unusual in the year 1921….would there be any further records regarding this symbol?  Also could it be a sign that maybe she was officially adopted when this became Law in 1926? She was just a few days old when she was adopted and was born in St Luke’s Hospital in Bradford. Then taken to St Bernardo’s just up the road. Can anyone give me any guidance of how to trace her roots?  Thank you.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Adoption 1921
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 April 24 23:45 BST (UK) »
The mother should appear in the 1921 census, and this record will give you information about her age and birth place.
The symbol may have something to do with St Bernardo's records?
Without seeing the document you mention, or knowing the details on the birth certificate, or even knowing a name and place, it is difficult to know how to help further.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 April 24 23:56 BST (UK) »
She was just a few days old when she was adopted and was born in St Luke’s Hospital in Bradford. Then taken to St Bernardo’s just up the road.

See also: https://www.barnardos.org.uk/former-barnardos-children

Online AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 April 24 08:16 BST (UK) »
I know my mother’s birth surname and her adopted surname and date she was born in 1921. Her birth certificate states her original surname and adopted surname … her first name and middle name remains as registered. From birth records her mother’s maiden name is the same as my mums.

What documents exactly are you looking at ?

Birth certificates should never have an adopted surname on them....to see one that does would be interesting.

But from what you describe I wonder whether you might be looking at index entries and could be  misinterpreting what you are seeing.

Offline Brendaedna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 20 April 24 15:20 BST (UK) »
It’s my mums Birth Certificate says Marjorie Dennis Parker.  Her registered name is Marjorie Dorothy Parker….he adopted mums name (then hers) was Dennis. 

I keep trying to copy the Birth Certificate here, but it won’t let me.

Offline Brendaedna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 21 April 24 13:12 BST (UK) »
Do you still have to pay a fee to enquire with Bernardo’s if you’re not very sure the adoption came about via Bernardo’s? My mum always said she was born in St Luke’s in Bradford and was given to Barnardos and then at a few days old was given to my Grandma and Granddad.

Online AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 21 April 24 18:38 BST (UK) »
It’s my mums Birth Certificate says Marjorie Dennis Parker.  Her registered name is Marjorie Dorothy Parker….he adopted mums name (then hers) was Dennis. 

I keep trying to copy the Birth Certificate here, but it won’t let me.

What do mean by her registered name, if it is not what you have on the birth certificate - are you looking at two documents ?

I can see a Marjorie D ParkIN born in Bradford in 1921, bit not a ParkER.

I will send you a DM with my email - if you wish you can send me what you have and I'll try and explain it for you.

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 21 April 24 19:57 BST (UK) »
There is this one, registered early 1922, so it could be her if her birthday was late in 1921?

PARKER, MARJORIE  DOROTHY      WALDEN     
GRO Reference: 1922  M Quarter in NUNEATON  Volume 06D  Page 1226

Offline Brendaedna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 21 April 24 20:03 BST (UK) »
Somehow spellcheck changed the name….it should read Marjorie D Parkin. And thank you I have found her registered Birth.