Author Topic: Joanne Stokes/Stoakes Camden London  (Read 106 times)

Offline Woollie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Joanne Stokes/Stoakes Camden London
« on: Friday 19 April 24 22:16 BST (UK) »
I am trying to trace a Cousin of my recently passed Uncle Leslie Hodges who had lived in Perth Australia since the mid 50's and lived to over 100 years of age....
She has likely died and solicitors have said her last location was Camden as a Miss although she had married and lived for many years in Herne Bay with him....no children did they have.
Reason is myself and older Sister plus Joanne Stokes have been named as his beneficiaries and the Probate has to be done in Australia and it is being difficult to communicate with the various departments and so just enquiring how the best way forward to finding this Cousin that my Uncle Leslie had lost contact with for around 7 + years before he died himself...
Would appreciate ideas for finding out about this person....

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Joanne Stokes/Stoakes Camden London
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 April 24 00:28 BST (UK) »
Are the solicitors quoting her whereabouts & marital status from the contents of the will?  If so - when was the will made? 

Start by looking up her birth to establish her birth year - www.freebmd.org.uk

Then use GRO online to establish whether she is deceased - only deaths to 2021 are available

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/indexes_search.asp

Check for Obituary notices

Some London Electoral registers are available online depending on what date is involved

EDIT

"Address was Camden as a Miss although she had married & lived for many years in Herne Bay with him"

Where was Leslie born?  Have you located him on the 1939 register?  Is Joanne living with him?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 April 24 05:49 BST (UK) »
Was she born Joane Stokes or Joane Hodges?

What are the date of birth for your uncle and his date of death it may help to find her.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 April 24 08:18 BST (UK) »
A Leslie W Hodges b 23.11.1922 is on an outgoing passenger list to Australia in 1957. Also a Betty Hodges b 9.9.1929.  Address was West Wickham & they married 1950 in Croydon

Is this the same Leslie?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)