Author Topic: Latin Teenement survey c1460  (Read 167 times)

Offline mcmp

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Latin Teenement survey c1460
« on: Saturday 20 April 24 08:32 BST (UK) »
Can anyone please help with this one?  It is an extract in Latin from a Survey, about 1460.
I do know that it is for a Tenement called "Jopes" in Hadlow, Kent in the name of John A Barton.  I am wondering if it tells me anything of relevance to him.  If it is the person I think it is, then he would have lived to 85/90.  Is that uncommon for that time?
This unfortunately is the best copy I can produce, which may exclude the notes in the right margin.

Thamkyou for any help.
PIPE, CABLE, STANLEY, WATSON, East Anglia
BARTON, JUPP, WOOD, MUNN, PETERS, MARTIN, Kent & Sussex
OXENBURY, Dorset
WILDE, Derbyshire

Online Vance Mead

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Latin Teenement survey c1460
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 April 24 09:09 BST (UK) »
Here's a start.

John A Barton holds a tenement called Jopysmede lying adjacent to the tenement of Henry Hexstall to the west, the tenement of John Bishop, son of Robert to the south, the tenement of Thomas Fishere, Henry Hexstall and Richard Fishere to the east, and a tenement called Jopyssowe to the north, containing 3 rods of land, except 1 (?), 1 quarter and 1 perch.

Edit:
It was unusual for someone to live to 85 or 90, but not impossible. When I see that in sites like Ancestry or Wikitree, I think that the most likely explanation is that 2 or 3 people have been conflated into one.

Mead - Herts, Bucks, Essex
Pontifex - Bucks
Goldhurst - London, Middx, Herts
Kellogg/Kelhog - Essex, Cambs

Offline mcmp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 April 24 13:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you Vance.  Strange measurement, but makes little difference overall.
As for the age of John A Barton, I have explored all possibilities, and it is the "A" which appears to identify him, and so far I have found no other possibilities, but my mind is open.  I do have his will, all 9 pages of it, so must try to sort it out.
Thanks again
OXENBURY, Dorset
WILDE, Derbyshire

Online Vance Mead

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 April 24 15:41 BST (UK) »
His will might give some indication of his age. Did he mention grandchildren? Is there any indication that the children or grandchildren mentioned were not yet of full age?

As for the "A". This was a form of at or atte, not particularly uncommon in surnames at that time. The link below is for an index of plaintiffs and defendants in the court of Common Pleas for 1519. The column on the right is for defendants. Scroll down a little and you will see the surnames "a Barton", "a Dene", "a Forde", "a Lee", and so on.

http://aalt.law.uh.edu/Indices/CP40Indices/CP40no1023Def.htm
Mead - Herts, Bucks, Essex
Pontifex - Bucks
Goldhurst - London, Middx, Herts
Kellogg/Kelhog - Essex, Cambs

Offline mcmp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 April 24 04:33 BST (UK) »
I hadn't considered the possibility that 'a' (which in most cases for him is lower case) would be 'atte'.  Thanks for pointing that out.  This would explain why his son is also 'a' Barton.
From previous experience that will probably make any further progress in finding his origin very difficult.
The will I previously mentioned (9 pages) was not his, but his son's will.  The one in question is only 1 page, and contains a couple of names etc of interest, but the details I am working on.
Thanks for the hint regarding 'atte'.
OXENBURY, Dorset
WILDE, Derbyshire