Author Topic: Consanguineous dispensations  (Read 73 times)

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Consanguineous dispensations
« on: Saturday 20 April 24 14:04 BST (UK) »
Personally, I haven't looked through many Catholic church records from the US, so I was hoping I could draw on the experience of others regarding dispensations in the US.

In the US, I have only ever seen notation in the marriage register which means that the bride and groom are first cousins, and this I have only encountered very rarely.

In the US, I haven't ever seen any notation that means that people were second or third cousins.  Or second or first cousins once removed.  Though, I have seen this sort of info very frequently in Ireland.

I am wondering if they basically didn't record these other categories in America other than first cousins.

I read recently that the only cousins that require a dispensation are first cousins, which surprised me greatly, as I have seen all these other notations in Ireland.

Can anyone confirm this idea that they basically didn't record these other categories in America?

(I am trying to evaluate one marriage in particular where I think the couple were some other type of cousins rather than first, but which gives no notation.)