Author Topic: Lemon family in Moulton  (Read 138 times)

Offline mrs_orrell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lemon family in Moulton
« on: Saturday 20 April 24 20:07 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I am on the trail of the Lemon family from Moulton. I have a brick wall with Mary Lemon who was married in Swaffham Prior Cambs in 1762. A Judith Lemon is also married in Swaffham Prior in 1761 and a search for Judith Lemon brought up a burial in 1735 in Moulton Suffolk leading me down this current rabbit hole...

I found an apprenticeship record for John Lemon, son of Firman Lemon of Wickhambrook apprenticed to a carpenter in Moulton in 1717. Today I bought the Suffolk FHS Clare Deanery 1st baptism CD and there are several baptisms to a John and Mary starting in 1727 all in Moulton - there are no other Lemon entries in the Clare Deanery and that includes Wickhambrook. I believe this John is probably the apprentice John. There is no Mary baptised but there are 2 Judiths. One is buried, the second is around the right time that she could be the same Judith who marries in Swaffham Prior.

A search on FindMyPast has turned up several burials and 2 marriages in Moulton for Lemons. The 2 marriages are probably 2 of John Lemon's daughters, the dates fit in with the corresponding baptisms. Most of the deaths are either definitely infant deaths of John's children, some are probable infant deaths of John's unbaptised children and one is John's wife, and another is John's son, John, as an adult.

Interestingly, there is a Firman Lemon in Wicken in Cambs baptising children from 1700 to 1710. There is a burial in 1710 for Firman (and his last child's baptism notes that Firman is deceased) and there is also a burial in 1709 of John Sen father of Firman.

There is a Firman Lemon in Soham Cambs in 1851 who gives his birth place as Moulton, Suffolk, so I feel there is a connection between all of these - I just haven't quite found it yet...

I am looking specifically for the marriage of John Lemon and Mary from Moulton who were baptising children from 1727. I am also still looking for the baptism of Mary Lemon. I am guessing she was born between 1735 and 1743. Her burial in 1808 in Swaffham Prior gives no age.

In 1761 a John Lemon marries Betty Chalk in Linton. There is a settlement document from 1762 for them between Linton and Moulton. Their son John seems to have moved to Stuntney Cambs, where he had a son Reuben (among others) who had a son named Fairman.

I'm sure they are all connected but finding the connection is proving difficult!

If anyone can look up the John Lemon / Mary (unknown) marriage around 1727 (possibly in Moulton) and look for a Mary Lemon baptism around 1735-1741, I would be really grateful!

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lemon family in Moulton
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 April 24 00:26 BST (UK) »
Hi ,

This just a quick reply.

There is a John Lemon who married a Mary Carliel 3-2-1726 in Moulton St.Peter.
There is also a Firmin Lemmon who married Sarah Todd 23-11-1698 in Cowlinge St.Margaret (BTs).
This latter may be John's parents but haven't had chance to look up.

Hope these help.

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Online Vance Mead

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 April 24 05:06 BST (UK) »
There's a Probate Inventory of Fermon Lemmon of Wicken, 1710.

https://www.suffolkarchives.co.uk/collections/getrecord/GB174_IC_500_3_36_56
Mead - Herts, Bucks, Essex
Pontifex - Bucks
Goldhurst - London, Middx, Herts
Kellogg/Kelhog - Essex, Cambs

Offline mrs_orrell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 April 24 09:33 BST (UK) »
Hi ,

This just a quick reply.

There is a John Lemon who married a Mary Carliel 3-2-1726 in Moulton St.Peter.
There is also a Firmin Lemmon who married Sarah Todd 23-11-1698 in Cowlinge St.Margaret (BTs).
This latter may be John's parents but haven't had chance to look up.

Hope these help.

Alan

Certainly does help Alan - thank you! What are the odds that Mary Carliel is the daughter of his master Thomas Carlisle bapt 31/8/1707?! That Lemmon / Todd marriage is definitely a contender - can't see any Todd baptisms in Cowlinge. Or Lemmons. A Lemon / Firmin marriage would be a good find I think here!

Offline mrs_orrell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 April 24 09:38 BST (UK) »
There's a Probate Inventory of Fermon Lemmon of Wicken, 1710.

https://www.suffolkarchives.co.uk/collections/getrecord/GB174_IC_500_3_36_56

Thank you! A trip to Bury may be in order! Looks like there are other Lemon documents there as well. :)

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 22 April 24 10:42 BST (UK) »
Hi,

As you say - I think Mary is the d/o Thomas & Mary Carliel bapt. 31-8-1707 Moulton St.Peter.

There are  few "Todd/Todde" baptisms in Wickhambrook - All Saints - almost a neighbouring parish to Cowlinge. Included is a baptism for Sarah Todde 19-2-1669 (d/o Daniel - no mother listed) .

Looking at marriages there is a Daniel Todde - m - Sarah Ladyman 7-1-1664 in Wickhambrook - looks promising.

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline mrs_orrell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 22 April 24 13:16 BST (UK) »
Hi,

As you say - I think Mary is the d/o Thomas & Mary Carliel bapt. 31-8-1707 Moulton St.Peter.

There are  few "Todd/Todde" baptisms in Wickhambrook - All Saints - almost a neighbouring parish to Cowlinge. Included is a baptism for Sarah Todde 19-2-1669 (d/o Daniel - no mother listed) .

Looking at marriages there is a Daniel Todde - m - Sarah Ladyman 7-1-1664 in Wickhambrook - looks promising.

Alan

Thank you for taking the time to look these up Alan - it is much appreciated. I've got a bit of work to do now and it's all looking quite promising - Karen