Author Topic: NOCKTON Brick Wall  (Read 50 times)

Offline lpeake

• RootsChat Extra
  • Never forget the ancestors who shaped us
    • View Profile
NOCKTON Brick Wall
« on: Friday 19 April 24 11:32 BST (UK) »
Good morning and thank you for offering to carry out record research. It's much appreciated   :)

For several years (on and off) I have been tracing my partners family tree. For the most part this has been fairly straight forward but I have hit a brick wall when it comes to John NOCKTON and his parents.

According to census details he was born in Oldham in 1861 but I cannot find a record of his birth of details of his Mother.

I have a copy of his marriage certificate which shows he married Margaret STANLEY in 1884 in the Catholic Church of Our Lady and St Patrick, Oldham. Their ages are a little difficult to read but I think he is 23 and it looks like she is 18.

I know this is the correct union as I can follow the line forward from John and Margaret.

On the marriage certificate John's father is listed as James NOCKTON (Boot and Shoemaker). The only other detail I have been told is that James may have been born in Ireland but I don't have further details as I cannot positively go back further than John and Margaret's marriage.

I have tried variations of the name (Naughton, Knockton, Nocton and changing the o in ton to an e and i and a) but I can't seem to pin anything down.

If you are able to shed even a little light on this big black hole that has been sitting in my partners family tree for a long time I would be very grateful.

Many thanks
Leanne
Clements, Delve, Effer, Hex, Johnston, McKeating, Nockton, Peake, Raymont, Stanley, Westwell & Wheller

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: NOCKTON Brick Wall
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 April 24 11:40 BST (UK) »
Leanne,

Do you have an address for John on his marriage and the witnesses?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lpeake

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 April 24 12:03 BST (UK) »
Hi, it's really hard to read but I think it says 1 Morgan Square, Oldham for both John and Margaret.

The witnesses were both Owens, one of which was Ellen but I can make out the other.

I have attached a copy of the certificate if that helps. John is an Iron Labourer and Margaret is a Cotton Operative

Many thanks
Leanne
Clements, Delve, Effer, Hex, Johnston, McKeating, Nockton, Peake, Raymont, Stanley, Westwell & Wheller

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 April 24 12:56 BST (UK) »
In 1891 3321 /74

John Knockton gives Warrington as his birthplace.

Offline lpeake

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 April 24 13:27 BST (UK) »
There is a John Knockton b1861 in Warrington but his wife is Alice

I can see the 1891 Census says Warrington but in 1901 it's listed as Oldham. Would they have dropped the Warrington in later census info and just put the registration district?

In 1891 it shows his father in law, Christopher Stanley, living with him (tick) and in 1901 it has all the right children which is corroborated on the Lancashire OPC site for their baptisms (another tick)

You can see why I have so much trouble tracking him down  ???

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 April 24 13:40 BST (UK) »
Just to say that it does have Warrington in 1891 when Christopher Stanley is with the family.

Family Search has Lancashire https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QTNL-JPZ but the census page shows Warrington.
Unfortunately, as yet, it does not help.

Offline lpeake

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 19 April 24 13:56 BST (UK) »
I've just checked the GRO and it shows John Nockton b. 1861 in Warrington with a mothers maiden name of Kelly.

However, I so far can't find any marriage record for James Nockton and ?? Kelly between 1850 and 1861 either here in the UK or in Ireland.

Tracing your ancestors can be fun but it can also be very frustrating!

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 19 April 24 14:01 BST (UK) »
It might be better if you get your enquiry transferred to the Lancashire board rather than here.
Just click on ‘report to moderator’ for advice.

Offline lpeake

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 19 April 24 14:21 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I thought I posted in the right place. I'm fairly new to the site so still learning how things work.
Thank you for all your help and advice.   :)