Author Topic: Richard Neville, 2nd Lord Latimer's will, 1530  (Read 200 times)

Offline mbenjamin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Richard Neville, 2nd Lord Latimer's will, 1530
« on: Monday 22 April 24 07:23 BST (UK) »
Hello!

I've been looking for Richard Neville's will for quite a while and so far no luck. He may be also listed as Nevill, Nevell, Nevyll, Latimer, Latymer, Latemer and Latimore. He is usually referred to as being of Snape. He is supposed to have died in December 1530 at Snape Castle and buried at the parish church at Well. I haven't found any burial records either which is sort of expected due to the date. But he seems to have written a will, which was mentioned by his son John Neville in a letter to Cromwell. I've checked the Testamenta Vetusta and the Testamenta Eboracensia, I've looked at the National Archives and also checked with the Borthwick Institute and the West Yorkshire Archives. The archives couldn't even find any probate records for him, which I believe would exist even if he died intestate. Does anyone have any more ideas of places to look? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Neville, 2nd Lord Latimer's will, 1530
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 April 24 09:00 BST (UK) »
Are you searching under the wrong terms?
Richard Neville, 2nd Baron Latimer KB (c.1468 – c. 28 December 1530) of Snape, North Yorkshire; his title wasn't Lord.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Vance Mead

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 April 24 09:09 BST (UK) »
Mead - Herts, Bucks, Essex
Pontifex - Bucks
Goldhurst - London, Middx, Herts
Kellogg/Kelhog - Essex, Cambs

Offline mbenjamin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 April 24 17:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you KGarrad and Vance Mead! I didn't search under Baron or Lord, but under his name, surname and his barony, so basically under Richard Neville and Latimer with several different spellings. In most of the sources he was mentioned as Lord Latimer. An example of that would be the Letters & Papers. From Edward IV to Henry VIII he is called Lord Latimer.

Offline Vance Mead

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 April 24 18:15 BST (UK) »
He was apparently still alive in Hilary term 1530, when his son was heir apparent.

In Common Pleas in that year the plaintiff was:
John Nevell, knight, son and heir apparent of Richard Nevell, knight, lord Latymer (dm de Latymer)

3rd entry:
http://aalt.law.uh.edu/H8/CP40no1064/bCP40no1064dorses/IMG_7639.htm
Pontifex - Bucks

Offline mbenjamin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 23 April 24 00:20 BST (UK) »
Thank you Vance! I could only read some of that. I'm particularly interested in the date: would that be Jan-Mar 1530 of our calendar or theirs? Two of his sons appear in the Letters & Papers complaining about the division of their late father's assets. That was on 28 Dec 1530. 28 Dec. Lansd. MS. 203, f. 197. B. M. 6776. LORD LATYMER. 'Henry VIII: December 1530, 19-28', in Letters and Papers, Foreign and Domestic, Henry VIII, Volume 4, 1524-1530, (London, 1875) pp. 3059-3078. British History Online https://www.british-history.ac.uk/letters-papers-hen8/vol4/pp3059-3078

Offline Vance Mead

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 23 April 24 07:45 BST (UK) »
Yes, this would be 1530. Hilary term normally lasted about six weeks, from mid-January to the end of February. It had to end before the beginning of Lent, so if Easter was very early, Hilary term might only be about 3 weeks.
Pontifex - Bucks