Author Topic: Diary summary week ending 28th April 2024  (Read 1928 times)

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Diary summary week ending 28th April 2024
« on: Monday 22 April 24 11:49 BST (UK) »
Good morning  folks
No one about yet?

Started off quite a nice day but now it has turned into a bit of a grey day with a hint of the sun in between.

I think I might have solved a family problem, must admit with the help of fellow Rootschatters, I just have to collate a little information , my photo impact  doesn't seem to be playing the game  for me to cut and paste, not sure if it has become out of date on my antiquated Windows  7, another problem to solve.

Church  spring fayre at the end of the week,  must admit not keen having  just got over some  sort of virus, I will  just sit and look pretty, as if!!.

Have a good day.

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: Diary summary week ending 28th April 2024
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 April 24 12:59 BST (UK) »
It's a wet one here, we never seem to get more than a few days without rain. Can't complain too much, the weekend was fine and I was able able to do some gardening. Cut the lawns while it was dry.

A robin has been visiting my garden regularly, makes me smile when I see him hopping about. I think he must be nesting somewhere nearby.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 April 24 13:21 BST (UK) »
Oh dear! Can’t bear the thought of more wet and chilly weather…

Just coming to the end of our two weeks in Turkey.. 24C and sunny, home tomorrow 😢.
We’ve had a weeks culture in Cappadocia which was wonderful.. getting up at 4am for the balloon experience was certainly worth it.
150 of them up every suitable flying day with 4,000 people participating, wonderful sunrise and just magical … even my OH who doesn’t like heights thoroughly enjoyed it.. one more experience that was on my bucket list. Sadly can’t make photos small enough to post.

LM - glad to hear you’re feeling better and can see why you’re a bit wary of mixing with too many people!

Roobarb- good to hear you’ve been in the garden, so lovely to see the robins hopping about, they get so close..

RTL - pleased to hear you got your money back from the unplayable game! Well done for your perseverance.

Well must get back to the sunshine, last swim then throw everything in the suitcase 😂😂.

Take care all

Caroline

Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 April 24 17:00 BST (UK) »
That sounds fabulous Caroline, Turkey is such a beautiful country and viewing it from above must have been amazing. And followed by a week's relaxation in the sun, what more could a girl ask for?  :)

I expect you'll be home by the time you read this, hope the weather is kind to you for your return.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 April 24 10:31 BST (UK) »
A week of birthdays for my husband and me.  Just 4 days between our birthdays, so some celebrations, mainly family meals out and pleasant activities, especially on those few days when we had lovely warm sunshine.  There are more April birthdays in the family: grandson, sister-in-law and nephew's partner.  These birthdays seem to come in groups, don't they?  We have another lot in October with birthdays for my daughter, brother, nephew, mother, grandfather and mother-in-law (also both my mother and father died in October, though not in the same year).  And yet another mini-group in December with birthdays for my father, aunt and nephew.  My mother-in-law shares a birthday with my daughter and my father shares with his grandson.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 April 24 21:31 BST (UK) »
Well cleaned out my little pond today,filters etc
It was really dirty, but all pristine now with one of the little straw bundles to help prevent green water.
The fish look really good,bright colours two orange and a yellow, just goldfish.

Well Dentist yesterday ,extraction of the roots two crowns which were failing.
A new little plate with two teeth added , however I had such a job getting it out at home to swish  my mouth with salt water as per instructions , could not get it back in —- lots of injections to numb the root extractions and ut was all very painful after. My gum had really swollen - agony trying to get the new plate back in so I decided to leave it out, swish regularly and just wait but I look like The Hag of Ramsbottom, I will phone tomorrow to see what can be done .
All that cost £719 after five  £ 200+ visits !
Have an appointment on Monday - more money!
Oh dear in the words of Pam “Oi wish Oid looked aafter me teeth!” Ayers———
No an accident at school has a lot to answer for .
I’d be suing them nowadays!

A lovely sunny day but really cold .
Son and I went to the garden centre yesterday , to get my Mothering Sunday present which I wanted to wait for.
I got two big healthy Lavender plants .English,I don’t like  the French sort.

I need a heather ,one in a pot has died the other four are fine. None of the size I wanted.
Bluebells- well white bells all ou in my garden ,in the lane celandine  and
lovely bright dandelions. A big forget me not plant from seeds given me by a former  pupil who sadly lost her new born baby , a Society for Stillbirths and Neonatal deaths give the seeds to parents ,she gave me some.
What sadness.

Hope all are O.K.
Look after yourselves.
Viktoria.

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 April 24 10:15 BST (UK) »
Morning all
You’ve all been busy. Reports on Facebook say there’s hail and snow in Northumberland!
Bit sad today as oldest grandchild age 7 has been teased at school by his classmates as he has an occasional stammer. He’s handling it really well but you do feel for him. It’s the first time he’s been teased about it.
North East of England

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 25 April 24 10:34 BST (UK) »
Well ANZAC day today,110 years since the 1914 -18 War started  later this year.
We called upon our Empire- as it still was then- and my how they responded.
So few of their relatives would be able to travel to their graves,in those days.
That is really sad.
However the cemeteries are still beautifully kept and memorials maintained.

Then they did  it again in WW2.
Hope it is mentioned in The News.
These things should not be forgotten.

Well now there  is a call to stop having horses in the military, all because some spooked at a loud noise when a builder dropped some rubbish that made a very loud noise and several horses of The Household Cavalry spooked 
as they were trotting past just as the rubbish crashed down.
Honestly!
They are magnificent and bring something special to the big parades etc.
There are more things that really need banning !!!

A dull damp day ,son is off to head office so I am doing his room which resembles a cross  between an untidy office and a garden shed/ workshop!

So dusters ,hot soapy water, long reach dusters for behind furniture I can’t move ,tools on the vac hose ,etc etc etc .

Need to phone the Dentist ,my mouth is so sire and the new little plate with a couple of teeth on it won’t  now go in !
So I am missing a tooth right at the front ,

Well I hope all are alright and especially those with health problems .
Viktoria.

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 25 April 24 12:02 BST (UK) »
Oh, Viktoria, your poor mouth! Hope you get the dentist to sort it out quickly.  My husband lost a filling and a crown this week, but has managed to get an emergency appointment this afternoon.  You have to be in pain to qualify for an emergency appointment, but we must be thankful that we are registered with an NHS dentist's surgery.  So many people can't even find one in our area. 

A dull but warm day here and I have optimistically put out a line of washing.  The house next door is having the roof re-thatched and the gable end re-rendered, so there is a lot of mud and straw in our little lane, plus scaffolding everywhere.  It's a very old cob building, so made of mud, straw sand and stones and it has been interesting to watch the builders remove the old outer rendering and to see what's underneath.  The downside of cob buildings is that they can suddenly collapse!  Our house is attached to theirs, but is a later addition (early 19th century), and appears to have been built with bricks, and we have a slate roof, thank goodness.  The neighbour's house is also a listed building and the owner has to get permission every time he has repairs done and has to use specified (and rather expensive) businesses.

The weekly shop is done and everything put away - I hate that job.  It's time to clean my windows and let a bit more light into our rather dark cottage.  I can clean them all myself, as they are double-glazed  modernish ones and open fully, allowing you to get your hand round the back/outside of the glass. 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.