Author Topic: Diary summary week ending 28th April 2024  (Read 2151 times)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary summary week ending 28th April 2024
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 27 April 24 18:43 BST (UK) »
Well, an unsettled sleep pattern is really harming, and yours is chaotic RTL.
It is swapped and changed so often - irregularly, it seems.

I don’t know an answer except all nights or all days .
Work ought to be enjoyable even if tiring, I am sure you get satisfaction because I’ll bet you do a really good job ,but that can still be very
enervating .There seems not to be anyone in an  administrative post to talk to and more importantly listen!
Well keep us posted ,you know there are so many kind people who will
“ listen” on RootsChat ,just opening up and being read and thought  about is a little  “something”, that helps us get by. 
You might already take some but Multivitamins do help especially D .
Cheerio abd kindest regards.
Viktoria.

Online louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 27 April 24 20:15 BST (UK) »
RTL
I really don't know how you do the hours you work without breaks,  I thought breaks were allowed after so many hours work, I have worked through breaks but only  because I wanted to and not regularly,  I do feel for you feeling so low right now, is it time to talk to your superior for a few days off duty,

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 27 April 24 21:18 BST (UK) »
I really feel for you RTL, your schedule is obviously exhausting and not only leaving you feeling burnt out but is also affecting what is supposed to be your free time. And more importantly, it's taking away from the time you want to spend with your family.
Those sort of shift patterns seem all too common in the caring professions, along with the expectation that you don't take the breaks to which you're entitled. I'm sure your work is appreciated by the people you're caring for but you're certainly paying a high price for your dedication. What happened to caring for the carers?

I understand that the government has to balance the books but I don't think that making people work to an increasing age is the answer. The retirement pension was introduced for a reason - people become less physically able to carry out some jobs as they get older and are more prone to things going wrong.

I hope your next shifts pass quickly and you're able to get some decent rest and hopefully some quality time to yourself. Really good news for your DiL.
And a belated congratulations from me for getting your refund for the game.  :)
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 27 April 24 21:20 BST (UK) »
I really feel for you RTL, your schedule is obviously exhausting and not only leaving you feeling burnt out but is also affecting what is supposed to be your free time. And more importantly, it's taking away from the time you want to spend with your family.
Those sort of shift patterns seem all too common in the caring professions, along with the expectation that you don't take the breaks to which you're entitled. I'm sure your work is appreciated by the people you're caring for but you're certainly paying a high price for your dedication. What happened to caring for the carers?

I understand that the government has to balance the books but I don't think that making people work to an increasing age is the answer. The retirement pension was introduced for a reason - people become less physically able to carry out some jobs as they get older and of course we don't have the same energy as when we were young.

I hope your next shifts pass quickly and you're able to get some decent rest and hopefully some quality time to yourself. Really good news for your DiL.
And a belated congratulations from me for getting your refund for the game.  :)
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 27 April 24 23:09 BST (UK) »
RTL - I can only reiterate what everyone else is saying to you, especially Viktoria who has many wise words.

It does seem so very unfair that you are too tired to spend time with your family and I hope that when your shift pattern changes you will have a bit more energy.
Very pleased to hear about your DiL that must give you all a boost.

I’m in awe of your stamina not only doing such a demanding job but with all that additional travelling on public transport you have to do, I’m not surprised your energy levels are being compromised.

RC is such a good place to express one’s feelings and everyone listens as Viktoria says, it’s not easy discussing some things with family and you don’t want them to worry so we are the next best place.

Do take care of yourself and maybe some energy drinks or something like that could give you the vitamins your body needs…

My best wishes to you

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 28 April 24 06:21 BST (UK) »
Oh, yes that has been great news for us all that DiL has got through and has been able to ring the bell. :D

Thanks Viktoria, LM, Roobarb and Caroline for your kind words.  I like the work itself it is only the conditions re breaks and shift patterns which is the real problem.  Re breaks these are certainly 'allowed' on paper and there is a deduction in pay from working hours regardless; it is only that for the majority of time there is no time to take them.  I do believe though if these were made mandatory as covid testing was, then a way would be found to find time for them.  As it is, who cares if we get a break or not.  What can't be cured must be endured, I daresay. ::)
But it has felt very good just to express myself about things on here yesterday.  That has honestly felt like a tonic, I think.  So thank you for listening. :)

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 28 April 24 08:39 BST (UK) »
Thankyou for your thanks ,anytime you need to just “ call on us “.
I forgot to mention your D in Law, yes really good news, mine has just had a strange mole removed.
On her breastbone high about low neckline in the middle.
She goes to Blackburn on Thursday to get the result —— do you know— she was given a date in November for removal and biopsy so has paid privately !
November!!!
I wanted someone to go with her but she prefers to be alone.: My son ,her husband has to go to head office that day,this is not the one camping out with me, but I am worried about her driving alone after perhaps very bad news- I might have to “  interfere “., which I never do but she has never been difficult just doesn’t like children so my son is not so close to his nephew and niece as he would have been.
She is in her sixties as is my son well both if them are,my daughter-( Flash Harry and the one  toddler  demolition squad - Kyra- are her grandchildren.) is 57 this year.
I must be getting old - or something.

Well my mouth is now pretty comfortable ,just a bit of pain when I bit into a crunchy ginger nut biscuit last night - pressure  on the sockets where the roots were removed.I can’t whistle now .
Who remembers men going about their work, whistling ?
Such a happy sound, oh turn the clock back  please— well selectively -

So best wishes to those unwell, those with problems ,those recently bereaved and the lonely .
RootsChat really comes up trumps ,I would so like to meet many if you but the anonymity is in a way its strength .
We are only at the end of a fingertip.

Sincere good wishes to you all, and thanks to RootsChat !
Viktoria.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 28 April 24 08:50 BST (UK) »
RTL, good to hear that we have helped by listening.  :)

Viktoria, hope the ginger nuts get easier, maybe dunk them in the meantime!  :D
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 28 April 24 11:38 BST (UK) »
I was surprised to learn how short the break entitlement is as I've never worked anywhere with less than an hour for lunch.

Workers have the right to one uninterrupted 20 minute rest break during their working day, if they work more than 6 hours a day. This could be a tea or lunch break.
https://www.gov.uk/rest-breaks-work

Is there anywhere more local you could work?  Your daily commute is grim.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk