Author Topic: Family Habits  (Read 298 times)

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
Family Habits
« on: Tuesday 23 April 24 10:22 BST (UK) »
Good Enough for My Granddad, It's Good Enough for Me!
When it comes to family matters, do we do things because we always do those things, unthinkingly, by rote, by force of habit? I found out this week that our family does.

My wife's first husband, while still a young man, bought The TV Times every week - BBC1, BBC2 and ITV only in those days. There were some programming conflicts, and you had to be quick to change channels so as not to miss either the start, or the finish.

He meets, courts, and then marries the woman who later became my wife. After a while, a baby son was born. There was an accident at work for which the company was to blame. While off work, recovering from broken bones, it was discovered that he had terminal bowel cancer. A long lingering illness till the end. 

The widow and son carried on with their lives till I arrived on the scene. We become a family. Eventually, step-son leaves home, marries and starts his own family. Next January he will be 40. 

We have arrived at yesterday. A throwaway remark by either my wife, or I, led to a thunderclap of realization - like St Paul on the Road to Damascus. Between us, we have been buying The TV Times for over 40 years and NO ONE READS IT! It goes in the rack and 4 weeks later goes out to the recycling. 

I am happy to say that we have given up the habit - cold turkey. I will let you know if either one of us gets withdrawal symptoms ...
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Family Habits
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 April 24 10:59 BST (UK) »
Just as a by the by—- when living in Belgium we befriended an English lady ,
 who had lived in Manchester, her large family home was opposite my second bus stop on my way to school.

She was the only English person in the town in West Flanders.
Attended the English Church in Gent.
When she died her in laws had to clear  over 60 years of hoarding ,they roped us in to help and from very old beautiful Victorian and Edwardian clothing we dressed a whole choir for “ The Good Old Days” concert we did for OXFAM.

She had bottled whole chickens and rabbits for  when the Germans invaded.
WW2 .
Still in the cellar in 1960’s/70’s ,looking like humunculi .!

She loved the radio and had every copy of Radio Times from its inception.
I told her in laws they might be valuable so left them to do as they wished.

A hoard of Victorian and Edwardian undies,all lace and Broderie Anglaise , we used those in the concert.
She was of the proportions of Queen Victoria and two of us got into one pair of her voluminous bloomers —- we had to go everywhere together mind you!
 :-X
Such amazing stories like diverting the spring water supply from their house when The German High Command requisitioned their home, to a supply not always pure———- she  said “ it was our little war effort” when we were somewhat  ,well , it was a crime of sorts, but she said “ Now listen to me,when you have seen your loyal employees put against your  factory wall and machine gunned , you feel you have to do something .
They commandeered our home and we lived in the garage ,seeing our belonging desecrated and the towns folk murdered.”
 :-X
I brought the clothes to England ,used in many Ladies’Group talks and eventually went to Shropshire  Air Ambulance ,volunteers gave talks in many places for funds using the clothes.
Very popular,in Village Halls and one speaker from the hamlet where I had lived  would be asked “ When are you bringing them thur big knickers agin?”

Cheerio, Viktoria.

Offline garden genie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 April 24 11:10 BST (UK) »
Old habits do die hard. My husband's grandmother was brought up in a tiny terrace house in the Manchester suberbs, which had very steep stairs. Eighty years later in a spacious semi-detached in Sale she still turned round and came down stairs backwards because she always had done.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 April 24 16:16 BST (UK) »
Snail eating seems to have been a thing but I haven't carried that one on  :-X
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Online youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 April 24 16:59 BST (UK) »
Snail eating seems to have been a thing but I haven't carried that one on  :-X
Was a local thing, and yes I have had them when I was younger.
You can have escargot  , same thing, cooked differently.
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY