Author Topic: Help in deciphering entry in baptism record  (Read 121 times)

Offline ozeannie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help in deciphering entry in baptism record
« on: Wednesday 24 April 24 00:00 BST (UK) »
Hi

I would like help please in trying to decipher the entry in the month column of the baptism of Catherine Buckley in image attached. (Marked with red)
I have searched for a similar entry in near pages but could not find one. It doesn't seem to be the name of a month. I will give the link to the page so that it can more easily be seen and other pages examined perhaps for clues. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000634760#page/71/mode/1up

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Help in deciphering entry in baptism record
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 April 24 00:25 BST (UK) »
Are the months in Latin? Some entries have Aprilis ( April). Catherine Buckley's may be Martius (March).

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline ozeannie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Help in deciphering entry in baptism record
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 April 24 00:43 BST (UK) »
William,

Thanks for your prompt response!

You are quite right - the months are in Latin, and now that I look at it, I can see it is Martius.

The problem was , it didn't look like any of the other March entries, but I see now that the connection from the "bottom middle prong" of the M to the top of the upper right corner is faint - and the loop at the start is very pronounced... but I can see it now!

Thank you, it did make sense as she was born 2nd March.