Author Topic: Old Manchester Streets  (Read 355 times)

Offline ele002

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Under Age Grandfather
    • View Profile
Old Manchester Streets
« on: Wednesday 24 April 24 10:55 BST (UK) »
Can anyone tell me where 'Great Newton Street' was in 1806 and am I correct in thinking that 'Newton Lane' in late 1700's was the now Oldham Rd?

Regards, Eric
Jones:Middleton, Howarth:Manchester, Dean:Ardwick/Manchester, Harvey:Nth Manchester & Elland/West Yorks,  Tattersall:Manchester/Salford/Burnley,  
 Lees:Prestwich/Manchester, Wild : Manchester/Salford,
Davies/Williams :Ruabon/Wrexham
Peace: Burton on Trent

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Old Manchester Streets
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 April 24 11:29 BST (UK) »

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 April 24 12:25 BST (UK) »
If it helps Great Newton St exists on this 1845 map when compared to the 1888 map https://maps.nls.uk/view/102344087#zoom=7&lat=8368&lon=13242&layers=BT

Offline ele002

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Under Age Grandfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 April 24 12:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks. Not the answer I was hoping for. I was hoping/assuming Grt Newton St was in the Ancoats area. Newton Heath throws a spanner in the works.

I think I've been down this road before ( pardon the pun) and I think I found this map at the time.

I think I'll have to look at some directories next time I'm at Central Library. The address I've got in 1806 is Cropper's Buildings, Gt Newton St. Man

Thanks, Eric
Jones:Middleton, Howarth:Manchester, Dean:Ardwick/Manchester, Harvey:Nth Manchester & Elland/West Yorks,  Tattersall:Manchester/Salford/Burnley,  
 Lees:Prestwich/Manchester, Wild : Manchester/Salford,
Davies/Williams :Ruabon/Wrexham
Peace: Burton on Trent

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 April 24 13:36 BST (UK) »
There's still hope for an Ancoats location (assuming this is the same Butler Street that is there now)

21 May 1805: Manchester Mercury

TO LET.
Several well-built DWELLING-HOUSES, situate at the corner of Butler-street, near the toll bar, Great Newton-street, Manchester. For particulars enquire of MR GEORGE SIMPSON, at the Griffin, Great Ancoat's-street.

N.B. The houses will be let at low rents to eligible tenants.
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 April 24 14:52 BST (UK) »
Sorry - I was looking at press reports of the street  and was interupted

I did find this attached report on 28 June 1814 Manchester Mercury which mentions a Great Newton St near George Leigh St and Poland St.  I did find the former on this 1845 map https://maps.nls.uk/view/102344087#zoom=7&lat=5848&lon=8497&layers=BT

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 24 April 24 15:46 BST (UK) »
According to the Manchester Evening News (I won’t link to it because the site will break your brain):

Tib Street

Named after one of Manchester’s ‘lost rivers’.

Back in the 1700s, a stream emerging from farmland in Miles Platting made its way alongside Newton Lane - now Oldham Road - through to Castlefield and ultimately contributed to the River Medlock.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 24 April 24 20:47 BST (UK) »
There was a district in Manchester, we lived there - known as Newton .
That was our postal address.
It was between Miles Plating and Newton Heath .Bounded also by  Collyhurst and Bradford.
There is a Newton St ,off Great Ancoats St.The Post Office sorting office is there, going past Stevenson Square, parallel with Oldham St.
Oldham Road , a continuation of Oldham St ,name changes after crossing Great Ancoats St, led to Newton Heath , going through Ancoats,Miles Platting and Newton to Newton Heath.

The Medlock ran through Philip’s Park and Philip’s Park Cemetery, where it
was culverted for a distance and ran through Beswick to Ancoats to Chorleton on Medlock , which is near The University on Oxford Road.
Viktoria.

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 25 April 24 08:09 BST (UK) »
The tithe map for Newton Heath, 1846, covers land to the east of Butler Street along Oldham Road and the two canals eastwards to Newton Heath. Oldham Road is labelled simply as Turnpike Road.

At the modern junction of Oldham Road with Queens Road (Lamb Lane in 1846) and Hulme Hall Lane there is a Newton Turnpike marked. This area was the village of Miles Platting at that time.

Following Hulme Hall Lane southeastwards from the junction, and just over the canal, is a site named Newton Demesne which is occupied by a James Scholes who seems also to be associated with a Bone Works and Tannery lying a little to the southwest, along the canal. To the east of Newton Demesne, and a little south, at a site corresponding to the northernmost part of Philips Park cemetery is Newton Grange.

Is it possible that a section of Oldham Road was called Great Newton Street at one time?