Author Topic: Old Manchester Streets  (Read 309 times)

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Old Manchester Streets
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 25 April 24 10:25 BST (UK) »
I think you might be right Alan.   Another newspaper report on 23 Jan 1810 in the Manchester Mercury refers to the sale of 4 dwellings situated and being in German Street near the sign of the Lord Nelson, Great Newton St, Manchester.   

German St is now Raduim St as referred to in this article about the Nelson Pub, Raduim St (late German St) Oldham Road Manchester https://historyme.wordpress.com/2011/08/22/the-nelson-public-house-radium-st-late-german-st-oldham-rd-ancoats/

Kay

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 25 April 24 10:33 BST (UK) »
I think this 1845 1888 Town Map shows the Nelson Pub on the corner of German St and at the time Oldham Road https://maps.nls.uk/view/231274272#zoom=5&lat=9696&lon=4268&layers=BT

Offline ele002

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Under Age Grandfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 25 April 24 10:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks all. I was sure Oldham Rd used to be Newton Lane. The piece on the Tibb looks familiar. That may have been where I saw it.

The area of Ancoats mentioned in the articles looks favourable. The people I'm looking at were in that general area for many years, so it looks as though I'm on the right track. I do like the mention of Poland St.

There is some 50 years between the references to Newton Lane & Gt Newton St. but I would imagine they stayed in the General area most of the time. In fact the one born in Newton Lane was at Oldham Rd when he died.

Plenty to work on now.

Many thanks, Eric.
Jones:Middleton, Howarth:Manchester, Dean:Ardwick/Manchester, Harvey:Nth Manchester & Elland/West Yorks,  Tattersall:Manchester/Salford/Burnley,  
 Lees:Prestwich/Manchester, Wild : Manchester/Salford,
Davies/Williams :Ruabon/Wrexham
Peace: Burton on Trent

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 25 April 24 16:37 BST (UK) »

Offline ele002

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Under Age Grandfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 26 April 24 11:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks again.

Now I know the location of these places the hard bit starts. Finding these people 20/30 years on and hoping they are where I want them!! Easier said than done.

Many thanks, Eric
Jones:Middleton, Howarth:Manchester, Dean:Ardwick/Manchester, Harvey:Nth Manchester & Elland/West Yorks,  Tattersall:Manchester/Salford/Burnley,  
 Lees:Prestwich/Manchester, Wild : Manchester/Salford,
Davies/Williams :Ruabon/Wrexham
Peace: Burton on Trent