Author Topic: 2 Crosses and a Capstick, where did they go?  (Read 515 times)

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
2 Crosses and a Capstick, where did they go?
« on: Wednesday 24 April 24 19:09 BST (UK) »
I have put this in The Common Room as I have no idea where these 3 people went, could be anywhere.

Thomas Cross was born in Steeple Claydon Buckinghamshire on 12th September 1857 the youngest child of William Cross and his wife Maria Jennings.
Thomas didn't marry young he lived at home with his parents ( and mother after his father died ) and elder brother William.

Maria Cross died on 30th November 1899 leaving William and Thomas on their own.
William married on 7th April 1890, I know everything about him from that time ( he was my grandfather ).

On the 1891 census Thomas was living at the George and Dragon Kendal as an Ostler / Groom.
In 1895 Thomas married Mary Caley, she gave birth to a son Thomas ( John Thomas ) in 1897, she died in 1898.

Thomas remarried to Margaret Ann Dobson in 1899 and she gave birth to 2 children Ellen Maria in early 1900 and Albert Edward in early 1901.

On the 1901 census the family are living in Levens.

1905 Margaret Ann died.

On the 1911 census the 3 children are living in the children's home attached to Kendal workhouse, I can't find Thomas snr.

Thomas jnr. stays in the Kendal area and can be traced to his death.

On 1921 census Ellen is a live in servant in Sedbergh Yorkshire. That is where  she must have met her future husband Richard Capstick it was his home town.

They married in 1922, a short tragic marriage. Ellen gave birth to 2 children Thomas Richard and Ellen Marie both of them dying as babies.
Richard died on 18th July 1924.

The last time I can find Ellen is on Richard's probate granted in October 1924 admin. granted to Ellen Maria widow value £483 5s 7d.

There is a marriage in 1927 of an Ellen M Capstick to Harry Grimshaw in Lancashire, I think this is a different woman.

Thomas snr. I can't find a death that fits. Albert Edward I can't see for sure after the 1911 census.

Ancestry family trees --------- There is one that has Maria dying in 1884 and Thomas in 1940 in Henley on Thames, I'm sure this has mixed up 2 different families.
There is also one with Ellen showing Richard not dying  until the 1970s, I am not convinced by that one.

So Thomas Cross, Albert Edward Cross an Ellen Maria Capstick what happened to them?
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 2 Crosses and a Capstick, where did they go?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 April 24 20:25 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure that it isn't your Ellen Maria marrying Harry Grimshaw in 1927 in Barrow.  Cumbria BMD shows Ellen M. under both Cross and Capstick.

Lancashire BMD shows a Joan Grimshaw born in 1928, indexed with both mother's previous names - Cross and Capstick.

Ellen Grimshaw born 7 January 1900 is at 42 Beaumont Place, Lancaster - married but husband not present - with one redacted person.
Ancestry also has the electoral roll for Lancaster 1939, where Harry and Ellen Maria Grimshaw are both shown at 42 Beaumont Place.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 April 24 21:47 BST (UK) »
23 September 1949, Lancaster Guardian.
Harry Grimshaw's death and an acknowledgement from his wife and daughter.

Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 April 24 21:58 BST (UK) »
The use of both Cross and Capstick for Ellen's second marriage would usual suggests divorce from rather than death of the first husband, but here you say Richard Capstick definitely died

Online Marmalady

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 April 24 22:48 BST (UK) »
The use of both Cross and Capstick for Ellen's second marriage would usual suggests divorce from rather than death of the first husband, but here you say Richard Capstick definitely died

Not necessarily
The information required is for any former names -- so maiden name and previous married name
Wainwright - Yorkshire
Whitney - Herefordshire
Watson -  Northamptonshire
Trant - Yorkshire
Helps - all
Needham - Derbyshire
Waterhouse - Derbyshire
Northing - all

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 April 24 02:30 BST (UK) »
The intake books for the orphanage do they still exist?
It might explain where Thomas Cross senior was, although it could be the usual - mother dead. 

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 April 24 02:40 BST (UK) »
1921 there is a Thomas Cross age 62 says born Levens Westmoreland, living Durham, with another wife Annie also 62 years old.

It's not exactly where he was born he was living there in 1901

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 25 April 24 09:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for all the information about Ellen. I must admit I had dismissed her because of Lancashire and I hadn't followed her through.

The problem with Thomas is as you can see there were Cross families in Westmorland before Thomas moved there and trying to work out which were Westmorland families and which were my Thomas isn't easy.

I don't think my Cross family had any connections with Westmorland, I  can trace them in Buckinghamshire back to the 1700s so why Thomas ended up there I don't know.
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 25 April 24 10:01 BST (UK) »

Sorry jaywit - a small diversion from your query for anyone who doesn't know this. 
The GRO marriage index, at some times, shows a divorced woman indexed both under her previous married name and her maiden name.
 I don't think that widows are indexed this way at any time, although of course the certificate itself will normally give both names.

The UKBMD indexes https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/
(which don't cover all counties) sometimes show maiden and previous married names for marriages, and also birth registrations, regardless of whether the wife/mother was widowed or divorced.  I don't know what governs whether they are shown or not, but I know  that they aren't always.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk